Fossil falls to Arvada West

Mike Kravec lunges to complete a pass

Mike Kravec lunges to complete a pass

Madalynn Lewis

Madalynn Lewis

Mike Kravec lunges to complete a pass

Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

Fossil Ridge High School lost 23 – 42 against Arvada West High School last night at French Field. After a rough three quarters, Fossil fought to come back from such a large difference in score.

The first half was heavily dominated by Arvada. Fossil only managed to score three points, while Arvada West managed to put 21 points on the board. Fossil’s offense struggled to stay on the field, ensuring that our defense began to tire out early in the game. The Sabercats looked haywire as if nothing was working out in the first quarter. The second quarter was not much more eventful for Fossil. Arvada West managed to score another touchdown within the first two minutes of the quarter. Fossil responded with a field goal, scoring with ten minutes left in the half. With the score now 3-28, the Fossil fans seemed dreary.

Fossil responded positively starting the third quarter, scoring their first touchdown with eleven minutes left in the quarter. Unfortunately, the holder dropped the ball and the kicker was unable to kick the football. This fumble cost Fossil the extra point. With only six minutes left in the fourth quarter, Fossil scored another touchdown to bring the score to 16-35. They then attempted an onside kick which was regrettably recovered by Arvada West. Because of this, Arvada West was able to score another touchdown, bringing the score to 16-35. With only five minutes left in the game, two personal fouls were called on Arvada West, moving the line of scrimmage up twenty yards. As a result of the previous play, Fossil scored another touchdown. The game ended with a final score of 23-42. The last quarter echoed how hard Fossil was willing to work for a win.

Even though they lost by 19 points, every time Arvada West scored Fossil refused to give up. The next game will take place next week on September 14, against Overland High School at French Field. This will be the homecoming game, so make sure to show your support for Fossil.

About the Contributor
Madalynn Lewis, Sports Beat Leader

Maddy Lewis, a sophomore, began her second year on the Etched in Stone staff as Sports Beat leader among many other leadership roles within Fossil Ridge High School. Her drive and strength make her natural-born leader and she hopes to utilize her talent throughout school and her career.

Maddy is also in student council, which allows her to gain leadership skills and grow as an individual. After College, she hopes to go into education through the Peace Corps, followed by a career as a kindergarten teacher or a Vice News political journalist.  Maddy is primarily interested in teaching people with different abilities and lives from her own, one of the reasons she is so interested in the Peace Corps. One program that she is seriously considering is in Chad, where she would be teaching young girls, teens, and women about consent. Another is in Costa Rica, teaching and helping in rural communities in any way she can.

After eleven years, competitive soccer took a toll on her knees and she recently switched sports to track and yoga. “As much as I loved soccer, I decided to change gears and try something new,” she explained. She also enjoys reading, watching movies, and hanging out with her friends. Maddy describes herself as “a nineties grunge music fanatic,” and loves bands such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam.