Silence of the Lambkins

Mataya Megson and Peyton Dunn on a block

Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

Homecoming week for Fossil Ridge High School had been filled with games like Powderpuff and Peach Fuzz up until Wednesday night, September 12. A night usually known for the annual bonfire became a night for Fossil to dominate the court and beat their cross-town rival Fort Collins High School. After an intense four-set game the Sabercats came out victorious over the Lambkins and won both the game and bragging rights.

The Fossil fan section went wild, decked out in Christmas attire, as Fossil ran through a banner that read “Silence of the Lambkins.” Captain Riley Zuhn’s mom made the banner for the girls’ most important home game of the season and the Sabercats proved it right. Despite starting off behind Fort Collins the Sabercats showed everyone exactly whose court they were on. Peyton Dunn was the top scorer of the set, but it was the mistakes by the Lambkins that helped Fossil to their win, 25-18.

In the second set, the Lambkins were the ones who came out victorious. It was as if Fossil had forgotten their strength and abilities in the last set as Fort Collins dominated the set. From the beginning, the Lambkins led the Sabercats, scoring point after point, and Fossil helped them win. Simple mistakes and bad moves on Fossil’s side of the net was one of the biggest reasons Fort Collins took the set 16-25.

Both teams went into the third set with their eyes on the win. The whole set was points within each other and it was in the final points that the game had everyone on their feet. Thanks to captain Mataya Megson the set went to Fossil in the end, after being at set point three times. The Sabercats took the third set 30-28 and game lead 2-1.

The fourth and final set was led by captains Megson and Zuhn who were the lead scorers. Fossil led the Lambkins until they got to their twentieth point and Fort Collins started to catch up. In the end, it was the Lambkins continuous errors that led to the Sabercats win 25-22. It was a great night of volleyball that was supposed to end with a bonfire, but due to complications the bonfire was put out before fans and the team could attend.

The Sabercats will take on Rocky Mountain High School Tuesday, September 18 at 6:30 P.M. at Rocky. Come out and support your girls for their next rivalry game!

About the Contributor
Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief
When Olivia Doro joined journalism as a freshman, she never expected to spend four years in the program. Now a senior, and Co-Editor-In-Chief, she is proud to call the journalism room home. Doro looks forward to her role as an Editor-In-Chief and hopes to teach the younger journalism members everything she has learned from her...