Bonfire explodes into Homecoming week

Anna Henning, Academics/Activities Beat Leader

• Fossil Ridge High School’s annual bonfire on September 12 was met with unexpected drama due to an explosion. There were also food trucks and music as students enjoyed the short fire.

• Students began arriving around 7 pm, and visited the various food trucks parked in the staff parking lot with friends. This year, Student Council organizers struggled to get food trucks, due to many trucks falling through last minute. Most food trucks are booked months in advance, and StuCo members had two weeks to find trucks both available and with low fees.

• Kona Ice, The Waffle Lab, The Sweaty Moose, and The Human Bean were the four food trucks at the event.

• Students gather to talk before the bonfire begins.

• Around 7:45, shortly after the sunset, the Poudre Fire Authority began to pour a mixture of gasoline and other chemicals on the wood to make the lighting process easier.

• Something went wrong and upon lighting the fire there was a big and unplanned explosion. Students screamed and jumped back out of alarm before cheering. Nobody was hurt in the process.

• Firemen from the Poudre Fire Authority move wood closer to the fire after being blown away in the explosion.

• When asked about what happened, the Poudre Fire Authority wasn’t entirely sure. They believe either something was wrong with the mixture or there was another factor that interfered with the fire, but they are unsure.

• Some students took the time to take group pictures, get food, talk, and some took the liberty of dancing. The music throughout the night varied between new music and old favorites, including Single Ladies by Beyonce and Take on Me by A-Ha.

• The bonfire was extinguished at 8:15, and only lasted 30 minutes due to the explosion. Volleyball game attendees were unable to enjoy the bonfire as it was extinguished early. Senior Maddy Chong was disappointed to miss the bonfire since it was her last one, and wished that the lighting time had been moved thirty minutes later so it still would have been burning after the game.

• Kalli Kirwan, a Student Council member and bonfire organizer, was happy with the event, despite struggles with food trucks and coordinating with the volleyball game. She explained, “I honestly thought (the turnout) was a little confusing because of time with the volleyball game. But, it is our most attended event during homecoming week and I thought the turnout was really good.”

Calli Errett
Lindsey Puev