Off the Green with Dillon Stewart

Dillon Stewart and the boys golf state team with their trophy

Jennifer Stewart

Jennifer Stewart

Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

Sitting tall in his chair, with a cool smile on his face while he talked, Dillon Stewart radiated confidence. For being one of the best young golfers in the country, bound for Oklahoma State University in the fall of 2019 to play Division 1 golf, Stewart was not confident in the normal way most athletes are. His confidence came not from arrogance but from the level of comfort and ease he had with himself, and with others. From the minute the interview began Stewart’s easy demeanor and rambling answers added to his charming personality and showed just how approachable the superstar athlete is.

At age three Stewart found a passion for golf with the encouragement of his father who was a Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) teacher. Stewart’s passion for golf took him to win both the Individual and Team Class 5A golf State Championship for his final fall 2018 season of his senior year in high school. This win accomplished his goal for his short senior year, “My whole goal for high school season is just to win state.” An impressive accomplishment for the senior who is graduating early and bound for a success filled four years at OSU.

When he first started golfing if he hit a bad shot he would start crying.”

— Jennifer Stewart

Despite his one goal for the year already accomplished Stewart has some remorse for leaving his senior year halfway through. “Yeah, but again at the same time it’s going to be worth it and at the end of the day high school is not my final destination.” That was his response to if he feels like he is missing out on any of his high school experience by graduating early. He says he will “still stay in contact with my friends, especially the close ones,” and that he will walk with everyone in May. So while the prominent young athlete may be leaving early he plans to pursue his dreams and work towards his next step of life.

Jennifer Stewart
Stewart at a younger age with his golf clubs

Going away from the player Stewart is on the golf course, his close friend Leigha Devine and mother Jennifer Stewart give a closer look at who Dillon is under the surface. Like how his favorite food after a long tournament is Chik-Fil-A, but before any big day, he treats himself to a glass of chocolate milk. Something everyone passing him in the hallways would notice is that Stewart has a “thing” about matching. His mom explained that Stewart needs to match his outfit, especially his shoes, belt, and hat before he goes out and that he only likes things in even numbers. From lining things up to keeping the stereo volume at an even number Stewart’s laid-back demeanor is more with people.

Jennifer Stewart
Stewart displaying his nickname on a piece of cake

Looking at Stewart and Devine’s friendship it is something every high schooler wishes they could have. At the beginning of their joint interview, the duo demonstrated their handshake before answering any questions. Their five-year friendship started with Stewart having a crush on Devine but now “he tells me all the other girls he has crushes on.” When Devine was asked about Dillon and what made him unique the first answer she gave was “He recently got into his Crocs.” The duo joked and laughed throughout, showing just how laidback they both were. Between jabs and jokes, Devine gave answers like how being Spirit Leaders together was “dope” and that having him leave at semester was “aggravating.” 

Stewart and Devine at homecoming this fall

They talked about how their relationship goes through waves and is a rollercoaster, and how they intend to win “The Couple that Never Was” in the yearbook this year. The best part was when they quoted Devine’s father together saying “Big players, make big plays in big-time situations.” While Stewart on his own rambles and fidgets, when with his best friend the two go off on stories that had nothing to do with the question. Despite the constant banter and teasing, it was clear that the two would miss each other when they both went on to college.

We’ll probably talk, not as much, but I’m sure when we come home we’ll hang out.”

— Leigha Devine

Just from sitting down with Dillon alone, with him and his best friend, and interviewing his mom it was easy to tell that he is more than what kids passing in the halls might think. His contagious smile and open personality is something that more people should know about him. Be sure to congratulate Dillon and the golf team on their win at state, and just get to know the person he is outside of golf.

Stewart leaning against his club on the golf class

About the Writer
Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

When Olivia Doro joined journalism as a freshman, she never expected to spend four years in the program. Now a senior, and Co-Editor-In-Chief, she is proud to call the journalism room home. Doro looks forward to her role as an Editor-In-Chief and hopes to teach the younger journalism members everything she has learned from her three years of being on staff. After quitting soccer freshman year, covering sports has allowed her to stay connected to what she loves. She also found inspiration from the passion Fossil athletes have for their sports and continues to enjoy watching them compete. She is very excited not only to help with sports coverage this year but to help others interested in the sports beat gain the skills they need to be successful. Another goal Doro has for the paper this year is to place in Best of Colorado this spring, not only hoping to get a higher placement for her photography but also hoping to help other staff members place.

Outside of Etched in Stone, Doro keeps busy through her involvement in other Fossil activities. She is the Co-President of Photo Club, Historian for National Art Honor Society, and a member of Key Club. Through Key Club, Doro volunteers at an assisted living facility every week, which is one of her favorite things to do.

Doro’s favorite color is yellow because it is a happy color and it reminds her of sunflowers. She loves to shop at thrift stores and work on her photography skills. In her spare time, Doro does yoga, kickboxing, and running as ways to stay healthy. As a big fan of young adult novels from the romance and fantasy genres, Doro enjoys reading with a recent favorite series being Alice in Zombieland. Her favorite animal is a Sting Ray, although she loves all fish and sea creatures.  

After graduation in May, Doro plans to attend college. Although she does not know where she would like to go yet, she is looking at many different colleges both domestically and internationally. Her dream job is to be a broadcast journalist for ESPN.

[caption id="attachment_22321" align="aligncenter" width="317"] Olivia Doro Photo Credit: Loren Henley[/caption]