Student film featured in New York City

Maelstrom featured Megan Bean and Grant Deluca as the leads.

Garrick Bateman

Garrick Bateman

Karen Manley, Editor-in-Chief

Garrick Bateman
Garrick Bateman was the only Fossil student who attended this year.

On October 5, the annual All-American High School Film Festival kicked off in New York City. The event entailed three days of panels, workshops, and hundreds of film screenings, among them Fossil Ridge High School student Garrick Bateman’s film “Maelstrom.”  

Inspired by the #MeToo movement, the film follows a uniquely complicated relationship. Bateman explained, “it’s a dystopian take on sex trafficking. I wanted to write a story about a romantic relationship with a power dynamic. What if the world had gone completely downhill and it wasn’t like a traditional relationship but a relationship where one person owned the other person?”

Going into the festival with a film displaying such a topic, Bateman felt apprehensive, saying, “I’m excited to watch it with other people but also nervous because other people will get to watch it and judge it. It’s showing a bunch of people who don’t know you your art. I like it a lot, I think [the film] is pretty good but then I’m going to get there and everything else is going to be better than it.”

The festival receives over two thousand entries each year from forty countries and every state in the U.S.This year, John Oliver and Eli Roth, both huge names in the industry, were judges. “It’s kinda cool to think that they’ve seen it and I kind of wonder if they liked it or not,” said Bateman.

During the festival, the showings took place in the AMC Theaters in Times Square. Bateman has shown films at Fossil’s Films on a Shoestring festival, and enjoys the atmosphere. “There’s a cool feeling about sitting in a room and watching your film with a bunch of other people. It’s this weird electricity where you know everyone in the room is feeling the same thing that you are,” explained Bateman.

However, the All-American High School Film Festival was exponentially larger than FOASS, and the environment reflected that. “It was a pretty insane atmosphere. Very high energy and lots of kids from all over the country and some from outside of it,” said Bateman. “It was pretty frequent creativity stimulus just being surrounded by all these young artists and professionals.”

While Maelstrom didn’t make it to the Best of Fest showings, Bateman felt the festival was still a success, saying, “We represented really well and stood out as having a unique voice. At the showing we received a very warm response and a round of applause.”

Bateman reflected, “It’s mostly just very inspiring the sort of creative community our generation is fostering. The diversity in projects was astounding and if we keep nurturing and encouraging the arts we’re going to be really spoiled with incredible filmmakers and storytellers in the future.”

The film, “Maelstrom,” can be found on YouTube on Alexandre Shappell’s channel.

About the Writer
Karen Manley, Editor in Chief

Karen Manley, a senior, has been in the journalism program since her freshman year. She feels most at home when writing about Unified Sports and activities, mental health, and other topics that people may not pay enough attention too. This year, Karen will be Co-Editor in Chief. Her responsibilities include taking care of the class emotionally and making sure that the paper runs smoothly. Karen explains “I’ve wanted to be an Editor in Chief since I was a freshman here. I am very excited to execute some of my ideas.”

Karen was in born San Diego, California and moved to Fort Collins when she was 14 years old. She currently lives with her family, including her mom, dad, and Brother. She enjoys her friends’ company, being the Co-Historian for NHAS, taking AP courses including Studio Art, geocaching, going on bike rides, and playing board games.

As a senior, Kaaren knows that she wants to further her education after leaving Fossil Ridge High School. She hopes to attend either UNC or Western Washington University to study journalism. She may also want to take a gap year to serve in the Peace Corps. After she completes college, she hopes to have graduated with a degree in order to pursue war journalism. Karen would like to become a war journalist focused on the people living in war-torn areas to shed light on a problem rarely mentioned.

Karen’s undeniable devotion to Etched in Stone can be seen clearly in her bubbly, kind and sincere personality. She is excited to leave Fossil Ridge High School with a bang. Her dedication to Etched in Stone over the past three years has helped make the paper what it is today.

1 Comment

One Response to “Student film featured in New York City”

1. Serena Bettis on October 10th, 2018 5:40 pm

Karen!! I love yoouu! Don’t forget to add hyperlinks!

• Student film featured in New York City

2018

Softball loses to Regis in state competition

2018

Sabercat Softball returns to State Tournament

2018

Dear Fang: Time Crunched

2018

Softball advances to State

2018

Knowledge, Steve, homies, and bread: What you missed at Trivia Night

2018

More than a statistic; dealing with an ACL tear

2018

Sabercats sing into season

2018

Movie Review: Venom

2018

Letter of Recommendation: Tour de Corgi

2018

B-List Delights: Friend Request

Student film featured in New York City