Sabercats start the road to State

Peyton Dunn sets it up

Peyton Dunn sets it up

Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro

Peyton Dunn sets it up

Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

With 18 wins and one loss under their belt, the Fossil Ridge High School volleyball team is ranked sixth in state as they ended their season on Thursday, October 23. The Sabercat’s last home game celebrated the eight seniors on the team, Ellie Brase, Jessica Chesrown, Courtney Dix, Charlie Durbin, Mataya Megson, Catie Semadeni, Emily Wind, and Riley Zuhn. All of the girls who had committed to play in college wore their future school shirts and all seniors were given heartfelt farewells by their younger teammates. Although the game may have started with some bittersweet moments the game ended with sweet victory for the Sabercats in a three-set sweep over Loveland High School.

Olivia Doro
Senior smiles

While Fossil took an early lead over Loveland in the first set the Indians slowly but surely started catching up, but after the Sabercats took a timeout they dominated the court for the rest of the set. Senior Mataya Megson scored the winning point of the first set 25-18. Despite a quick first set Fossil and Loveland were neck in neck in the final minutes of the second set. At first, the Sabercats held a 15-8 strong lead over the Indians until both teams were tied up 17-17. This was the first of three ties until Fossil took the lead at 20-19 and then took the set 24-21.

Going into the third set with a 2-0 lead the Sabercats did not look like a team at the end of their season, but a team ready to dominate not only their last home game for some but to dominate in the State Tournament in three weeks. Riley Zuhn killed it in the third set, dominating the scoreboard and scoring the last point for Fossil. In a 3-0 sweep, the Sabercats took the third set and the game 25-15.

In an interview after the game, one of the team captains Catie Semadeni said “It feels surreal,” when asked how it felt to win her last home game as a Sabercat. However, as the team was celebrating a momentous last game one could notice that head coach Paul Shimek had been absent from the game. Semadeni said, “It was tough, obviously we would have wanted him here for Senior Night and everything, but our team is really strong and our team chemistry is really strong, and so we were able to kind of band together and fill in the missing gap.”

Fossil will be hosting the Regional Tournament next week on Friday, November 2 at 4:00 P.M. in the Fossil main gym. Come out and support your Sabercats as they start their road to state, and to find out who the girls will be playing at Regionals follow @frhssportsnews on Twitter.

About the Contributor
Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

When Olivia Doro joined journalism as a freshman, she never expected to spend four years in the program. Now a senior, and Co-Editor-In-Chief, she is proud to call the journalism room home. Doro looks forward to her role as an Editor-In-Chief and hopes to teach the younger journalism members everything she has learned from her three years of being on staff. After quitting soccer freshman year, covering sports has allowed her to stay connected to what she loves. She also found inspiration from the passion Fossil athletes have for their sports and continues to enjoy watching them compete. She is very excited not only to help with sports coverage this year but to help others interested in the sports beat gain the skills they need to be successful. Another goal Doro has for the paper this year is to place in Best of Colorado this spring, not only hoping to get a higher placement for her photography but also hoping to help other staff members place.

Outside of Etched in Stone, Doro keeps busy through her involvement in other Fossil activities. She is the Co-President of Photo Club, Historian for National Art Honor Society, and a member of Key Club. Through Key Club, Doro volunteers at an assisted living facility every week, which is one of her favorite things to do.

Doro’s favorite color is yellow because it is a happy color and it reminds her of sunflowers. She loves to shop at thrift stores and work on her photography skills. In her spare time, Doro does yoga, kickboxing, and running as ways to stay healthy. As a big fan of young adult novels from the romance and fantasy genres, Doro enjoys reading with a recent favorite series being Alice in Zombieland. Her favorite animal is a Sting Ray, although she loves all fish and sea creatures.  

After graduation in May, Doro plans to attend college. Although she does not know where she would like to go yet, she is looking at many different colleges both domestically and internationally. Her dream job is to be a broadcast journalist for ESPN.

[caption id="attachment_22321" align="aligncenter" width="317"] Olivia Doro Photo Credit: Loren Henley[/caption]