Sabercats move onto the Great Eight

Rachel Lambrecht sets up a serve

Rachel Lambrecht sets up a serve

Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro

Rachel Lambrecht sets up a serve

Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

Games were in full swing at the Denver Coliseum when the Fossil Ridge High School volleyball team started their warm-ups for their first game of the 2018 CHSAA State Championship. Their opponent Grandview High School had already been played and beat in the regular season, but today was a new day and the Sabercats had to beat them one more time to stay in the championship. Later that day they would go on to play Windsor High School, who was playing in their first 5A State Championship and had had a bye for their first playoff game. The game between the Wizards and the Sabercats determined who would go on to the Great Eight.

Wolves stared down Sabercats across the net, it was a fight for redemption on both sides. One team wanted to beat the team they had lost too earlier in their season and the other wanted to reclaim the State Title. The first set was a sweep and Fossil easily took it 25-15, but the game would not be won as easy. Grandview put up a bigger fight and the set was closer than before as the Wolves began blocking powerful spikes and calling simple tips. Despite the less than comfortable closeness the scoreboard showed, it was Fossil who took the set 25-22. Another sweep in the third set, 25-17, meant the Sabercats would go on to play Windsor later that day.

Olivia Doro
Mataya Megson tips it over the net to score

It was the first time the Wizards stepped onto the 5A court and their first opponent was the Sabercats. Despite being seeded above Fossil, Windsor would not be going on to play in the Great Eight. After a first, 25-14, and second, 25-16, set sweep, the Sabercats were looking good to take it. Then out of nowhere, Windsor came back in the third set with a vengeance. For a majority of the third set the Wizards kept the lead over Fossil, and every time the Sabercats caught up Windsor knocked them down again. Fossil had not come all that way to be defeated on day one though, and in the end, they redeemed themselves. The Sabercats took the third set 25-21 to advance to the Great Eight game the next day at 2:00 P.M. against Chaparral High Schoool.

About the Contributor
Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

When Olivia Doro joined journalism as a freshman, she never expected to spend four years in the program. Now a senior, and Co-Editor-In-Chief, she is proud to call the journalism room home. Doro looks forward to her role as an Editor-In-Chief and hopes to teach the younger journalism members everything she has learned from her three years of being on staff. After quitting soccer freshman year, covering sports has allowed her to stay connected to what she loves. She also found inspiration from the passion Fossil athletes have for their sports and continues to enjoy watching them compete. She is very excited not only to help with sports coverage this year but to help others interested in the sports beat gain the skills they need to be successful. Another goal Doro has for the paper this year is to place in Best of Colorado this spring, not only hoping to get a higher placement for her photography but also hoping to help other staff members place.

Outside of Etched in Stone, Doro keeps busy through her involvement in other Fossil activities. She is the Co-President of Photo Club, Historian for National Art Honor Society, and a member of Key Club. Through Key Club, Doro volunteers at an assisted living facility every week, which is one of her favorite things to do.

Doro’s favorite color is yellow because it is a happy color and it reminds her of sunflowers. She loves to shop at thrift stores and work on her photography skills. In her spare time, Doro does yoga, kickboxing, and running as ways to stay healthy. As a big fan of young adult novels from the romance and fantasy genres, Doro enjoys reading with a recent favorite series being Alice in Zombieland. Her favorite animal is a Sting Ray, although she loves all fish and sea creatures.  

After graduation in May, Doro plans to attend college. Although she does not know where she would like to go yet, she is looking at many different colleges both domestically and internationally. Her dream job is to be a broadcast journalist for ESPN.

[caption id="attachment_22321" align="aligncenter" width="317"] Olivia Doro Photo Credit: Loren Henley[/caption]