Fossil’s fate in the Final Four

Olivia Doro

Mataya Megson going for a spike against Chaparral

Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

After a two-game sweep on the first day of the CHSAA State Championship Fossil Ridge High School now has to fight for a spot in the Final Four on Saturday, November 10. The team played Chaparral High School on Friday, November 9 in their Great Eight game, and after their 1-3 set loss against the Wolverines, the team will play Eaglecrest High School for a Final Four spot.

In their only game of the day on Friday, the Sabercats played Chaparral after Chaparral beat Chatfield High School 3-0 on Thursday. The teams were both coming from the Final Four in last year’s competition, but neither team had made it to the final match that year, so it was no shock that the game was intense. It was looking like Fossil would take the game after they swept Chaparral in the first set 25-17, despite the technical delay which lasted ten minutes after the tablets and scoreboard stopped responding to each other. The second set took a turn though with both teams within points of each other right until the final point was scored, but in the end, Chaparral took the set 23-25. Both teams were ready in the third set and the Sabercats even took an early lead, but soon the Wolverines started climbing up the scoreboard and took it over. Chaparral then had the lead, 1-2 sets, and they used their new confidence boost to overpower Fossil. No matter how hard both teams fought in the final set, going for every point and holding nothing back, the Sabercats had lost key confidence and it showed. 22-25, a devastating two-point difference that guaranteed Chaparral a Final Four spot, and forced Fossil to play another game to determine their fate.

The girls will be playing Eaglecrest at 9:30 A.M. on Saturday, November 10 at the Denver Coliseum.  To keep up with live coverage of the game follow @frhssportsnews on Twitter, and keep up with the live game results on CHSAA’s website.