Fossil’s fate in the Final Four

Mataya Megson going for a spike against Chaparral

Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

After a two-game sweep on the first day of the CHSAA State Championship Fossil Ridge High School now has to fight for a spot in the Final Four on Saturday, November 10. The team played Chaparral High School on Friday, November 9 in their Great Eight game, and after their 1-3 set loss against the Wolverines, the team will play Eaglecrest High School for a Final Four spot.

In their only game of the day on Friday, the Sabercats played Chaparral after Chaparral beat Chatfield High School 3-0 on Thursday. The teams were both coming from the Final Four in last year’s competition, but neither team had made it to the final match that year, so it was no shock that the game was intense. It was looking like Fossil would take the game after they swept Chaparral in the first set 25-17, despite the technical delay which lasted ten minutes after the tablets and scoreboard stopped responding to each other. The second set took a turn though with both teams within points of each other right until the final point was scored, but in the end, Chaparral took the set 23-25. Both teams were ready in the third set and the Sabercats even took an early lead, but soon the Wolverines started climbing up the scoreboard and took it over. Chaparral then had the lead, 1-2 sets, and they used their new confidence boost to overpower Fossil. No matter how hard both teams fought in the final set, going for every point and holding nothing back, the Sabercats had lost key confidence and it showed. 22-25, a devastating two-point difference that guaranteed Chaparral a Final Four spot, and forced Fossil to play another game to determine their fate.

The girls will be playing Eaglecrest at 9:30 A.M. on Saturday, November 10 at the Denver Coliseum.  To keep up with live coverage of the game follow @frhssportsnews on Twitter, and keep up with the live game results on CHSAA’s website.

About the Contributor
Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

When Olivia Doro joined journalism as a freshman, she never expected to spend four years in the program. Now a senior, and Co-Editor-In-Chief, she is proud to call the journalism room home. Doro looks forward to her role as an Editor-In-Chief and hopes to teach the younger journalism members everything she has learned from her three years of being on staff. After quitting soccer freshman year, covering sports has allowed her to stay connected to what she loves. She also found inspiration from the passion Fossil athletes have for their sports and continues to enjoy watching them compete. She is very excited not only to help with sports coverage this year but to help others interested in the sports beat gain the skills they need to be successful. Another goal Doro has for the paper this year is to place in Best of Colorado this spring, not only hoping to get a higher placement for her photography but also hoping to help other staff members place.

Outside of Etched in Stone, Doro keeps busy through her involvement in other Fossil activities. She is the Co-President of Photo Club, Historian for National Art Honor Society, and a member of Key Club. Through Key Club, Doro volunteers at an assisted living facility every week, which is one of her favorite things to do.

Doro’s favorite color is yellow because it is a happy color and it reminds her of sunflowers. She loves to shop at thrift stores and work on her photography skills. In her spare time, Doro does yoga, kickboxing, and running as ways to stay healthy. As a big fan of young adult novels from the romance and fantasy genres, Doro enjoys reading with a recent favorite series being Alice in Zombieland. Her favorite animal is a Sting Ray, although she loves all fish and sea creatures.  

After graduation in May, Doro plans to attend college. Although she does not know where she would like to go yet, she is looking at many different colleges both domestically and internationally. Her dream job is to be a broadcast journalist for ESPN.

[caption id="attachment_22321" align="aligncenter" width="317"] Olivia Doro Photo Credit: Loren Henley[/caption]