Fossil’s fight for the Final Four

Emily Wind, Jessica Chesrown, and Riley Zuhn block an Eaglecrest spike

Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro

Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

The third and final day of the CHSAA Volleyball State Championship had both Valor Christian High School and Chaparral High School with sealed semi-final spots. Fossil Ridge High School was still fighting for a place in the Final Four when they took the court against Eaglecrest High School in their contenders match. After a comeback in the third set which sent the teams into a fourth set, it was the Raptors who clinched the Final Four spot and sent the Sabercats back to the Ridge.

In the first set was point-for-point between the teams, as each blocked, set, spiked, and scored in the hopes of victory. In the final few points, it was Eaglecrest who took the lead and the first set. Fossil was not giving up yet though and they fought for every point they got, but again it was the Raptors who took the set. With a two-set lead and only one set away from taking the spot, it was looking like an Eaglcrest victory. Then the Sabercats came out in the third set with everything they had, and it paid off. After the girls took an early lead they ran with it, making impenetrable blocks and unstoppable spikes until they showed they were still in it, and they took the set 25-19. Their comeback was short-lived, and the fourth set ended up being their last. Despite leaving everything they had on the court the team it was not enough to take them to the Final Four, the Raptors took the fourth set 25-20 and the game 3-1.

Pullquote Photo

I know we’re all gonna play for each other and we’re gonna leave our legacy at Fossil.”

— Charlie Durbin

Before the game began the four team captains Charlie Durbin, Mataya Megson, Catie Semadeni, and Riley Zuhn gave a tear-filled interview for the last time in a Fossil uniform. “It feels crazy knowing that all four years we’ve been working for this.” “It doesn’t really feel real yet.” “I don’t think we realize today’s our last day.” “It’s already hit me and I just know that we all are going to put all of our effort forth because we know it’s our last time playing together.” In order of quotes from first to last it was Semadeni, Zuhn, Megson, and Durbin who spoke, all in tears by the time they walked away. Four games, two losses, thirteen incredibly talented, and one unforgettable season. The Fossil Ridge Sabercats have fought not only in every game at the State Championship but in every game this season. Congratulations on your season Fossil and good luck next year.

About the Contributor
Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

When Olivia Doro joined journalism as a freshman, she never expected to spend four years in the program. Now a senior, and Co-Editor-In-Chief, she is proud to call the journalism room home. Doro looks forward to her role as an Editor-In-Chief and hopes to teach the younger journalism members everything she has learned from her three years of being on staff. After quitting soccer freshman year, covering sports has allowed her to stay connected to what she loves. She also found inspiration from the passion Fossil athletes have for their sports and continues to enjoy watching them compete. She is very excited not only to help with sports coverage this year but to help others interested in the sports beat gain the skills they need to be successful. Another goal Doro has for the paper this year is to place in Best of Colorado this spring, not only hoping to get a higher placement for her photography but also hoping to help other staff members place.

Outside of Etched in Stone, Doro keeps busy through her involvement in other Fossil activities. She is the Co-President of Photo Club, Historian for National Art Honor Society, and a member of Key Club. Through Key Club, Doro volunteers at an assisted living facility every week, which is one of her favorite things to do.

Doro’s favorite color is yellow because it is a happy color and it reminds her of sunflowers. She loves to shop at thrift stores and work on her photography skills. In her spare time, Doro does yoga, kickboxing, and running as ways to stay healthy. As a big fan of young adult novels from the romance and fantasy genres, Doro enjoys reading with a recent favorite series being Alice in Zombieland. Her favorite animal is a Sting Ray, although she loves all fish and sea creatures.  

After graduation in May, Doro plans to attend college. Although she does not know where she would like to go yet, she is looking at many different colleges both domestically and internationally. Her dream job is to be a broadcast journalist for ESPN.

[caption id="attachment_22321" align="aligncenter" width="317"] Olivia Doro Photo Credit: Loren Henley[/caption]