Fossil defeats Lakewood to continue win streak

Johnny Howlett

Alexis Cohler defends the ball from two Lakewood players.

Joshua Villalpando

The girls Fossil Ridge High School basketball team walked into their fifth game looking confident. Their season has started out strong, with a 4 and 0 record going into the game on Tuesday, December 11.  From Fairview High School to Windsor High School, the Sabercats have handedly beaten every team they have come across, and they looked to maintain their dominance going into their first home game against Lakewood.

Johnny Howlett
Ashley Steffek puts up a three-pointer to push the Sabercats’ lead ahead.

The first quarter was relatively slow, with both teams not scoring much. The Sabercats took an early lead, keeping Lakewood at five points while putting up nine points by the end of the quarter.

The Sabercats really showed their dominance going into the second quarter. They kept double or triple the score of Lakewood most of the time, never really slowing down. The Sabercats ended the half with a score of 28 to 13.

Moving into the second half after a performance by the dance team, Lakewood and the Sabercats continued to fight back and forth for control of the ball. The opposing coach’s frustration was heard around the gym, but the Sabercats played well, holding Lakewood 37 to 22 by the end of the quarter.

The final quarter saw Lakewood try to push through the Sabercats defense, but the Sabercats endured the attack to bring the game to a close, 53 to 34. Fossil will take their 5 and 0 record to face off against Ralston Valley High School Wednesday, December 12th at 6 p.m. at Cherry Creek High School. Be sure to go and cheer them on at their final game before the semester ends!