Pottery classes are ready to get throwing

Aspen Jones

Fossil Ridge High School’s Pottery classes are back in action this semester. Many students are extremely excited about this class and can’t wait to get started. Pottery is a popular elective that Fossil Ridge offers; the students nearly always fall in love with making and eventually seeing their projects.

Pottery 1 students getting ready for the semester.

Pottery 1 is basically the introductory class to pottery. One learns how to work with different types of clay and how to throw on the wheel. Many pottery beginners were told to take this class by their friends who have taken it and loved the class. Some of the complications that the students are worried about are mainly time management and getting their out-of-class hours completed.

Ryan Ressler, who has never done pottery before, is in a beginning pottery class. He said, “My biggest complication is learning how to work on the wheel because it takes a lot of technique.” A project that he is also looking forward to is making a cool bowl for his mom.

Another pottery beginner, Maddie Plate, decided to fill her open period with the class, explaining, “My friends encouraged me to take this class because they enjoyed it. My project goal for this class is to improve on every piece I do.” She is really excited about this class and cannot wait to get started.

Projects made by previous pottery students.

Taegen Brungardt had taken pottery a few times in middle school, and he said, “I took this class because I wanted Mrs. Lemmon as a teacher and she’s a good teacher. I’m also looking forward to working on the wheel.”

Advanced Pottery is for the students who have taken the first pottery course and know how the class works. They make more advanced projects and have more time to work on the wheel since they have already been through lessons about it. However, students are still worried about managing their out-of-class hours and getting them completed, but they are also excited and ready to start making projects.

Alena Leberger, who has taken pottery three times, was influenced to be in the class by her sister and older brother; her twin also forced her to take the class because she loved it so much. “Mrs. Lemmon is one of my favorite teachers so she’s also a reason to why I took this class. My major goals this year is to make bigger, better and harder projects. My favorite project so far is the weiner dog that I made last year,” she explained.

Another advanced pottery student, Emily Langreck, took pottery her freshman year. She loved the class so much that she had to continue taking it and wants to take it in her future years at Fossil. She says, “I made a really cool coil vase to give to my mom with flowers carved in it. It was pretty big and smooth, the glaze was so pretty too. So that’s definitely my favorite project so far.” Her goals for this semester are to throw bigger bowls and pots and make more coil vases. She has lots of plants so she wants to move them into the projects and vases that she makes.

Pottery is a fun, entertaining class where one learns how to be creative with clay and makes lots of projects. The students are so excited to get started this semester.