Michael Bolduc

February 28, 2019

Bolduc+battles+to+keep+his+opponent+from+standing.+

Annabeth Sarbacker

Bolduc battles to keep his opponent from standing.

Fossil Ridge High School freshman, Michael Bolduc wrestled at the State Tournament in the 126 pound weight class. He lost two matches, ending his first chance at a State Title.

On Thursday February 21, Bolduc stepped up to compete in bout 32 where his match was ended with a fall and a score of 2-0.

Leading up to bout 184 of the tournament on Friday February 22, Bolduc admitted that he was “nervous” as he warmed up. Focusing on his match, he then said that he was “ready”. The match had a promising beginning when he scored the first takedown (2 points). During the second period his opponent was able to garner an escape (1 point) and two takedowns while Bolduc fought for a single escape.

He was left with 38 seconds on the clock and the score read 3-5. From the corner of the mat the coaches shouted for him to “Keep shooting!”. Bolduc earned another point with an escape, which tied the match.  With the clock stopped at less than 10 seconds remaining, the wrestlers re-positioned themselves to finish their match.

After he took his stance before the whistle sounded, Bolduc suddenly fell to the floor without warning. Within seconds he was surrounded by coaches and medical professionals. Head coach Brian Killion said “I have no idea what happened there, I think he’s okay, but I have no idea.”

While he was being examined by a medic, it seemed that he was back to normal. Coach Barry added, “You don’t put a kid back on the mat” in reference to Bolduc being able to wrestle, but had the match be declared a default due to injury.

This tournament had a disappointing finish, but he was proud to have made it to State in the first place. “It was a big accomplishment, I did not think that I would be on varsity my freshman year, but it was one of my goals.”

The focus of the wrestling season is to compete at state, but the lasting memories are formed elsewhere. Bolduc’s favorite part of the tournament was “hanging out with the team and coaches and having that time to bond.”

Reflecting on the entire season, Bolduc said “Yeah, it was hard and tough, but with the friends that you make and the bonds that you share with them it makes the season much more enjoyable. The beginning was hard just because I have never practiced that hard in my life for wrestling, but after a little bit it got easier”

As the only freshman on varsity, Bolduc sets the attitude for the upcoming season. Like many of his teammates, his dedication extends past the Fossil team. He will be spending his time training and improving through Bear Cave Wrestling in order to earn his 2020 State Title. When asked, he said “A state championship is what motivates me, that is one of my big goals.”