Fossil swims past Rocky and Collins to start off season

Olivia Doro

Fossil hits the water at the first meet of the season

Olivia Doro, Editor in Chief

The Fossil Ridge High School boys’ swimming and diving team swam in their first home meet of the season on Tuesday, March 12. They competed in a quad meet against city rivals Rocky Mountain High School and Poudre High School, as well as Horizon High School to take home their first home win of the season against Rocky 160-147. At the Coaches Invite on Saturday, March 23 the team placed 6th with 181 points ahead of their home dual meet against cross-town rival Fort Collins High School on Tuesday, March 26 where they won 181-128.

A Fossil swimmer competes in the breaststroke

Overall the team placed first in three events, the 200-yard medley relay, the 1-meter diving, and the 100-yard breaststroke. They placed in the top three for 11 events out of twelve, not placing top three in the 200-yard freestyle relay. In their dual meet against their biggest rival Fort Collins, Fossil swam first in 6 out of the 12 events for the meet. The Sabercats took first in the 200-yard IM, 50-yard free, 200-yard free relay, 100-yard back, 100-yard breast, and the 400-yard free relay.

A Fossil athlete takes in air before going back underwater

Currently, the team stands 1-0 in league dual meet wins for the 5A Front Range League. They compete against Loveland High School at the Edora Pool and Ice Center (EPIC) on April 23 for their next home meet. Fossil will also dive on Friday, March 29 at the Greeley Recreation Center against Greeley West High School ahead of the swim meet Saturday, March 30.  League results and standings along with player stat updates and final meet results can be found here at MaxPreps.