Fossil wrestling qualifies two wrestlers for state at regional tournament

Andrew Herrmann during the conference tournament at Poudre High School.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

Over the weekend, the Fossil Ridge High School Wrestling team competed in their regional tournament at Fruita Monument High School.

It was a great weekend for two wrestlers, Andrew Herrmann and Michael Doyle, as they both finished top five in their respective weight classes and qualified for the state tournament. 

Michael Doyle during a match against Longmont at Fossil Ridge.

Doyle was the workhorse of the tournament, competing in five matches during the day. He won his first two matchups in the championship bracket, eventually losing in the semifinals. Doyle was not discouraged though, as he emerged victorious twice in a row to lock up fourth place and secure a spot for state. He was viewed as an underdog coming into the tournament, boasting only an 8-17 record, one of the lowest in the tournament. Despite all of his opponents having a better winning percentage, Doyle continued to fight and willed his way into fourth place. He had to work for it though, wrestling for over 23 minutes, and going to a decision twice.

Despite getting to the same spot, Herrmann took a different path to the state tournament. Herrmann started the day slow, losing his first matchup to Tatum Williams of Fruita Monument in four minutes. This lit a fire under the Fossil junior, plowing through his next four opponents in under five minutes, earning a place on the podium at the bronze spot. This domination included redemption against Williams, beating him in exactly one minute to secure third place. 

Fossil’s two wrestlers will now look ahead to the state tournament, taking place at Ball Arena from February 17-20, 2022. Herrmann is not only looking forward to competing at state, but also enjoying the experience.

“I’d like to place but I’d be more than happy just being able to…take it all in,” Herrmann said.