Boys basketball wins by one against Broomfield

Fossil Ridge High School’s boy’s basketball team won their game on December 17 against Broomfield High School in the last ten seconds. The standout player of the game was junior Cayden Clagett who scored Fossil’s first points of the game and the winning three-pointer. 

In a post-game interview, Clagett emphasized that the trust the team has with each other is key in high-pressure moments. 

“I think it’s important to have a lot of trust because without trust, I don’t know what we have,” Clagett says.

The team put the importance of trust on display as both teams were within twelve points of each other the entire game.

Head Coach Matthew Johannsen expresses that their goal this year is “to get a little bit better every day. And they’ve been doing that.” 

The varsity experience that the team collectively lacks forces them to come in and leave everything on the court every day. The way the program is accomplishing this looks especially different now than it has in the past.

“…But this season we’re having to reteach just about everything,” Johannsen states. He also states that this includes everything from situational plays to the Xs and Os.

Senior Eli Nutting averages 14.8 points per game and 7.6 rebounds per game making him lead the team in both categories. Nutting shares Johannsen’s thoughts surrounding the fresh team.

Nutting’s motivation stems from this being his senior season while also trying to continue the impressive legacy of the seniors before him. “I got some good guys in front of me, so this is like my shot. My one opportunity.” 

Fossil’s boy’s basketball plays again at home on Friday, December 19 at 6:30 pm against Monarch. They hope to continue their league-winning streak of 5-0.

Jr Cayden Clagett makes a winning shot with four seconds left. (Lucy Corder)

View Comments (1)
$100
$1000