Twilight Movie Night: 2 Weeks 2 Give
Gahagan, Izabella – Student

Twilight Movie Night: 2 Weeks 2 Give

Taking place on Tuesday, March 26, from 6:00 to 8:10 p.m. was  Movie Night as a part of the 2 Weeks 2 Give. This was held in the Roundhouse where the National English Honor Society (NEHS) showed the teen classic “Twilight”. 

Movie nights for past Make-A-Wish weeks  have been held at Cinemark but NEHS decided to move it back to Fossil due to it not being the most cost effective option. 

The two jars holding the additional donations votes sitting next to the concessions.

Though entrance was free, concessions being sold and additional donations in either of two jars, leaving people to vote for their opinions on whether Jacob or Edward is better for Bella. There was an estimate of 30 to 50 viewers for this event. From reviewing both jars it was clear that Edward was the champion.

Their chosen charity was Reach Out and Read Colorado.

“They are a nonprofit, one thing they do is put out children’s books into pediatric doctors offices, hospitals, waiting and patients rooms to promote literacy”, explains Katie Rude, the advisor for NEHS. “They talk to parents about the benfits of literacy and reading, talking to your kid, and helping them expand their vocabulary, which as a Mom I see as very important and as an English teacher, so they have a pretty good mission here locally in Colorado.”

Thanks to the chosen spirit day, “Comfy Day,” most students were already prepared to enjoy a cozy movie night. Some even brought their own blankets and pillows, though no one could fall asleep watching this movie. The crowd gave many comments and reactions, especially towards their favorite lines.

“It was good, watching the movie for the first time” says sophomore, Luke Organ. 

NEHS President Charlotte Mills laughs how the chosen movie came to be.

“Somehow read Twilight ended up in our May hour opportunities… and we were like read Twilight, then it became a more fully fleshed out idea well actually that could be a fun event for people to come and watch Twilight.”

“I remember after we decided to show Twilight I ran back to my friends, I was like we’re showing Twilight at Fossil, thats a thing and I was so excited,” says Melissa Wong, the Vice President of NEHS.

She reflects how she thinks more people who hear about this will have similar responses.