The team setting up for Chiptune
The team setting up for Chiptune
Evelyn Waage

A new club Chiptune comes to Fossil Ridge High School

Chiptune is new club at Fossil Ridge High School that uses sound processors, old hardware and computers from the 80’s to make songs in modern times. 

“It’s like taking some old archaic device and making something really cool with it. Often we have a lot of harsh limitations like you can only have three or four channels of audio, so whenever you’re making chiptunes there’s a lot of flourishing under those hardships,” says Davis George, a the founder of Chiptune.
The goal of this club is to provide a space for artists and to teach people programs to make their own music. 

“I’ve been making this type of music for a few years now and I’ve been told by friends I’d be good at teaching it… [I],decided it’d be a neat idea to start a school club and see people enjoy learning how to make this type of music,” George says. 

George found the club making process difficult to get going, as there were a lot of steps and waiting. 

“Having to approve a program for the school was kind of hard,” George says. “Finding a teacher sponsor was a little complicated at first as well. Theres a lot of people that turned down offers but it didnt take super long and [I] was able to find a programmer through the actual club making process.” 

Chiptune meets in the black box, room 241 at lunch on Wednesdays. Email [email protected] with any questions or concerns.