New Language and Lattes club blends linguistic exploration with coffee

Language and Lattes is starting its monthly meetings to give all world language students a space to practice their target language outside of class.

Spanish teacher Ivan Rodon has taken the role of Staff Advisor. 

“We were thinking we create a club this club where they can get together talking in the language they are learning, it could be French, Spanish, or German,” Rodon explains. 

Rodon also talks about how each time the club meets the students in the World Language Honor Society get 30 minutes of their required hours. 

Teacher Norma Arroyo helped to recruit students from her Spanish classes for the club.

“We’ve only had one day, and actually had about 15 people show up so we were pleasantly surprised,” Arroyo says.

Both Rodon and Arroyo made sure to highlight junior Kyler Schwartzenberger, the brains behind the club. 

Schwartzenberger brought the idea to the administration and then to Rodon. She wanted to create a space to make people feel as welcome as possible but also be able to openly practice other languages without judgment or the pressure of grading.

“I think it’s so important to communicate with as many people as possible,” Schwartzenberger elaborates on the passion behind the idea.

Originally Shwartzenberger wanted to find a way to get the community involved, but decided to start small before going big.

Schwartzenberger hopes to see the club evolve in her senior year.

“My goal is to find more students and get the word around more,” Schwartzenberger says.

Language and Lattes meet on the last Wednesday of each month in room E203 during lunch. Come for the language and bring your own latte.