FRHS wide receiver Nigel Tilley recalls what really happened at the Windsor game Sept. 5

FRHS students took to Twitter to express their support for the football players Sept. 5.

How would it feel to wake up at 8 a.m. every day during summer vacation and train for four hours, only to not be recognized for the hard work and effort? That’s how Fossil Ridge High School senior and wide receiver Nigel Tilley felt after the team’s game against Windsor Sept. 5.

Instead of going on vacation or spending every day at the pool, the FRHS football team spent their three month vacation lifting weights, running, conditioning, and participating in contact camp and multiple scrimmages. So when they lost their game against Windsor, the players felt hurt as FRHS students took to social media, making comments like “Our football team sucks.” “If they really watched the game they would know how close we were and how well we played,” Tilley said. “All they saw was the score.”

Tilley commented that the crowd reaction hurt the seniors the most. “It’s the last year ever for some of us to play football.”  

The entire team stayed positive after the game and continue to offer each other support through tough times. “In the end, [negative comments] don’t really matter because it’s only us, our team mates. That’s the only people we have for support and we have to help each other out,” he said.

Still, some FRHS fans stood by their team’s side after the Windsor loss. Senior Emily Weber Tweeted, “Always proud to be a SaberCat,”and junior McKenzie Murphy Tweeted, “Win or lose you guys are great.”

Nigel agrees. He hopes SaberCat fans will continue their positive support throughout the season, regardless of the outcome. “Don’t lose faith. Support your school,” he said. ”We’re like a family.”

View Comments (2)
$100
$1000