Cross country team finding ways to surprise

The Fossil Ridge High School Cross Country team has gotten off to a steady, unexpected start to the season. “I wasn’t sure how the team would do this season due to the amount of runners they lost from the team last year,” said senior Logan Spieler. The team has really come together thus far, even more than may have been expected. “We lost a lot of starters and a bunch of people have stepped up and filled their spots,” said junior Cameron Baker.

However, the team wasn’t able to fill spots easily. The runners put in the necessary work over the summer which enabled them to have the opportunity to qualify for the missing team roles. They had workouts six days a week including some weeks where they ran six to 12 miles every day.

The team wasted no time in getting the season started off on the right foot. On the first meet of the year, Aug. 31, 2013 at FRHS, the team won the Sabercat Invitational with Sophomores Keaton Schelir and Joseph Krafsur finishing first and second in that order.

Although the year got started off great, the team has also encountered some struggles as the season has progressed. “We need to keep close to the top guy; we tend to let him get too far ahead” said Baker. The team will look to improve upon that for the remainder of the season.

Every team encounters trials as well as accomplishing great feats throughout the season. The team hopes they can ride those accomplishments to achieving the goals they have set before them. “We want to finish high at state and be JV champs,” said Baker.

No matter the outcome though, the team is always there for each other. “We are a family,” said Baker.

There are only three remaining meets until the end of the season. The next meet is on Oct. 11 called the Front Range League Championships and it is taking place at FRHS.