FRHS Student ranks 6th in the nation at P.A.S.I.C.

Fossil Ridge High School senior and marching band member, Gray Whitney, traveled to Indianapolis for the five day Percussive Arts Society International Convention on Nov. 13.

Throughout the five day convention, the 250 to 300 attendees took part in clinics and concerts. There was also a showcase of various drum sets and other instruments, all of which were available for the students to play.

“I went to show off my drumming skills and compare myself to the other top players in the country.” said Whitney. Whitney first heard about the annual convention sponsored by the Percussive Arts Society during his freshman year at FRHS and was the only student from Colorado in attendance.

On Nov. 14, Whitney had the opportunity to perform a drum solo in front of a panel of judges and be ranked out of the other 25 soloists. “I had to extensively prepare a solo and work hard at memorizing it,” said Whitney. “[I was] a little nervous, but I was confident in my preparation.”

Whitney placed 6th of the 25 solo performers. “It felt extremely good to be ranked among the best players in the nation.”

In the future, Whitney plans on continuing to play throughout college and hopes to receive scholarship money for his talent as well.