Boys’ tennis: Undefeated

The Fossil Ridge High School boy’s tennis team started the season on Aug. 17, but on Sept. 6 the boy’s FRHS tennis team had their first tournament, and officially started the season with multiple wins at the Loveland Varsity Tennis Invite.

In the first two rounds of the tournament, the team breezed past Golden and Arvada West with respective scores of 7-0, and 6-1. The team faced Poudre High School in the semifinals and still managed a convincing 5-2 win. While the first three games were nearly effortless, the finals were anything but easy. The SaberCats faced rival Fort Collins High School. FRHS was dead even at 3-3 before they finished Fort Collins off with a final score of 4-3, and their first tournament victory of this season.

The boys’ team came in with four doubles teams and three singles teams, and at the end of the day none had a losing record. FRHS’ four doubles teams finished with records of 4-0, 4-0, 3-1, and 3-1. Tanner Trace went undefeated in his singles matches, while the other two singles players, Lucas Martin and Max Weiner, both ended the day with the same result, 2-2. “It’s a great first tourney win,” head coach Judy Schultz said, adding, “though we have to remember it’s just one tournament and there are still more to go.”

Members of the FRHS team are looking forward to the rest of the season in which they hope to not only win in their league/regionals but also to compete well at state. “I believe the strength of our team top to bottom will allow us to be a competitive force,” Schultz said. “It’s our entire team which poses depth top to bottom in singles & doubles.”

The FRHS team’s last tournament is Sept. 22 in the Niwot Tournament.