Girls’ Swimming ready for state meet

The Fossil Ridge High School swim team is one meet away from going to state. After finishing second in state last year and winning state two years ago, the team looks to have similar success this year. They are currently ranked third in state with 178 points. They are 85 points down from Fairview, the number one ranked team in 5A. The team includes seven seniors, one of which is one of the top ranked swimmers in the state, Sammie Guay.

With a lot of experience from the seniors on the team and with the hard work that they have put in during the year, and according to Guay, the team has set a myriad of goals. “All of us want to grow and get good times, win city again, and place top five in state.”

A lot of the top level swimmers don’t take breaks during the season and play for club teams to better improve themselves. “The girls that aren’t swimming for club are doing weight training as well to prepare for the season,” Guay remarks. Senior Haley Osborn had an also stated “we were fairly weak at the beginning of the season; however, we believe we are gaining momentum at the right time.” They lifted weights, spent a lot of time in the water, and have done numerous team bonding activities to help make them a closer team. “Since the beginning of the season, the team has learned how to work and train hard and that has really benefited us over the last few weeks, still having energy,” Guay said.

“Part of what makes the team so close is the fact that we have a family atmosphere,” Osborn said. Not only does the team do bonding exercises and have team dinners, but the team also has many traditions. “Every year the seniors on the team go out and kidnap the freshman from their houses. We scare the girls and with the parents’ permission, we blind fold them and take them to the pool for team bonding,” Osborn said. “The swim team has done more for me in the last four years than anything else. It has been more than just a sport, it has been an opportunity to see myself grow and to make life-long friends that I will forever cherish,” Osborn also stated.

For Guay this team has not only provided her with a second family but with a career as well. “Because of our success as a team, and how much better I have improved because of this team I will be swimming in College for West Virginia University. This sport has taught me how to work hard in order to succeed and this team has helped me grow in the person I am today.”