Oscars 2014: FRHS student prediction

Oscars 2014: FRHS student prediction

Spring is in the air, and with the warm fronts moving in, so is the biggest night for movies of the year. The 84th annual Academy Awards, or Oscars if you will, will roll out the red carpet on Sunday March 06. I caught up with some students at Fossil Ridge High School to get the inside scoop on what movies the SaberCats are rooting for.

Best Film-

Nominations:

American Hustle

Captain Phillips

Dallas Buyers Club

Gravity

Her

Nebraska

Philomena

12 Years a Slave

The Wolf of Wall Street

Senior Chandler Gould thinks “The Wolf of Wall Street” will take home the award. “The acting was super superb… It told the story well,” says Gould. Senior Haley Osborn disagrees, she thinks Captain Phillips will win. “The story captures the essence of American pride and the ability of Americans to sacrifice everything that they are for the sake of those around them.”

Best Actor-

Nominations:

Christian Bale (American Hustle)

Bruce Dern (Nebraska)

Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)

Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)

Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Senior Logan Spieler predicts that Matthew McConaughey will win the award for Best Actor “because of all the things he had to do to play the part.” Apparently, McConaughey had to undergo excessive weight loss for the part in the film. Senior Haley Osborn thinks that either Bruce Dern or Chiwetel Ejiofor will win the award. “The both won golden globes for these roles, that has to make a difference,” Said Osborn. Chandler Gould disagrees with both saying Leonardo DiCaprio will take home the award, “He’s never gotten one, and his performance was off the charts.”

Best Actress-

Amy Adams (American Hustle)

Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

Sandra Bullock (Gravity)

Judi Dench (Philomena)

Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)

“Meryl Streep,” Osborn says, “the way she portrayed and became the character was really phenomenal.” Spieler thinks it will be Sandra Bullock, “She gave a really powerful performance and portrayed the struggle of her situation really well.”

Best Animated Feature-

The Croods

Despicable Me 2

Ernest & Celestine

Frozen

The Wind Rises

Sophomore Emma Keever believes that Disney’s “Frozen” will take the cake. “Of all the Disney movies it’s the most relatable, I loved it.” Gould agrees, “The artwork is amazing if anything…it’s such a phenomenon.” Osborn thinks “Despicable Me 2 will win. It was a good sequel. Some sequels come in and don’t have what it takes to contend with the first…The story line was funny and it was enjoyable to watch.”

Best Costume Design-

American Hustle

The Grandmaster

The Great Gatsby

The Invisible Woman

12 Years a Slave

Everyone thinks The Great Gatsby will win this Oscar. “They did a really good job using the classic 1920s look and molding it into the story,” says Osborn. Spieler says, “They did an amazing job. They represent the time period well…it was appealing to the eye.

Who knows what this year’s Oscars will bring? All that is for sure is that 2013 brought great entertainment to the theaters of America.