Garrett Bryant continues to make impact

Garrett Bryant continues to make impact

Garrett Bryant making impacts everywhere

By Kierra Vaughan

Since his fall on Jan. 16, former Fossil Ridge High School basketball player Garrett Bryant has been making small successes in the healing process. As of Feb. 20, he was moved out of ICU at St. Anthony Hospital into the Craig Rehabilitation Hospital, according to The Coloradoan.

Bryant suffered a fractured skull after falling down some stairs at the Garden City Community College on Jan. 16, said The Coloradoan. He was carried to St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood, Colo. via helicopter, where he was then met by his parents, Sandie and John Bryant. Up until Feb. 20, Bryant had remained in ICU in a medically induced coma.

The FRHS graduate’s parents remain by his side throughout the small successes, and also during the hard times. Sandie, his mother, has kept the public updated since the accident happened through a blog on CaringBridge.org, where she has recounted the small milestones, including Garrett’s first word (Mom), and the full use of his feet and hands.

The CaringBridge page dedicated to Bryant has over 35,000 visits, 14 tributes and 2,500 “hearts.” Garrett has been supported by a large community of FRHS students, teachers and parents, as well as the Garden City community. Just as Sandie said in a post on Jan. 16, “it takes a village,” and Garrett certainly has a village behind him.

The village includes not only his family, but also the entire FRHS community. Alex Semadeni, a senior at FRHS, played basketball with Garrett when he was a sophomore and Garrett was a senior. “He had a way of taking kids under his wing… On the court he was very helpful. He could always alleviate my nerves.” Semadeni said. The current senior also said that, on the court, Bryant was hard working but off the court “he was the funniest kid ever.” According to Semadeni, Mr. Johannsen, the coach of the Fossil Ridge boys basketball team, has done “a great job of not letting it show, even though we know he is stressed.” He said that Johannsen helped him to realize that  relationships in high school are so much more important than the championship game; that sports are more about the friendships you make, not just winning.

Another impact the Garrett has made was on his birthday. He turned 20 years old on Feb. 10 in the intensive care unit, but instead of asking for donations, Sandie asked that people do a single random act of kindness for a complete stranger. “The best gift any of you could give us or Garrett, please do a random act of kindness, say hi to a stranger, buy a cup of coffee for someone, scrape someone’s car window, call someone you have lost touch of… Please do this in the name of Garrett Bryant,” she wrote. The participants then posted their stories and acts on the site.

“This has helped me realize that we’re all vulnerable. Garrett definitely didn’t deserve it, and it can happen to anyone. You just gotta’ make the most of everyday,” Semadeni said.

To read more or make a donation to the Bryant family, visit CaringBridge.org.