Double state champion Rhianna Williams

Double state champion Rhianna Williams

Photo courtesy of Rhianna Williams

When students first meet senior Rhianna Williams, most can’t help but think she is one of the nicest person they have ever met. Then, the second thought is, “How does she do it?”

She is a double swimming state champion, a state champion runner for track and field, and she keeps up her social life and grades. This girl is seriously unstoppable. “I have always loved the water, so I started club swimming when I was really young,” Williams said. “I chose to do track because my parents ran, I really loved it my sophomore year so I wanted to take it more seriously.”

Williams swam four events in last year’s 5A Swimming State Competition, whereFossilRidgeHigh Schoolcame home with the first place trophy. She earned first place in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 23.48, first place in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 51.11, she was the anchor in the 200-yard medley relay that finished in fourth place with a time of 1:39.13 and anchored the 400-yard freestyle relay that won second with a time of 3:27.67.  No, your eyes are not fooling you; she won two individual first places at state. In the 5A Track and Field State Competition last year Williams ran a 55.36 in the 400 meter dash earning her first place. These wins make a state champion in two sports, an amazing feat.

There are times when Williams is tired, and doesn’t want to do the set the coaches lay out, but she always gives 100 percent, every length of the pool. That’s her secret; she never stops giving it her all. In fact, she plans on continuing her swimming career in college.

Williams—who transferred to FRHS fromThompsonValleyHigh Schoolas a sophomore — is a humble winner, but do not let that fool you. This girl hates to lose; she will work as hard as it takes for her to do her best. She trains hours on end during the week, and pushes herself to the edge during races.

Competing in both sports is a struggle but having a passion for both makes it easier. Williams started club swimming very young because of her love of the water, and chose to add track in middle school because her parents ran. She loved competing in track her sophomore year so she decided to take it more seriously. “It can be hard to do both sports but I think each sport helps the other,” Williams said, “I try to focus on one sport at a time to make sure I do… my best.” She began swimming and running for FRHS when she transferred after her freshman year fromThompsonValleyHigh School.

As the Olympics came to a close, swimming exploded, giving the sport a mass amount of attention.  Most of the attention directed toward Missy Franklin and Bonnie Brandon, bothColoradonatives. “It’s great Bonnie and Missy are able to bring so much attention to the sport in general,” Williams said of the attraction the sport is acquiring because of the athletes. “It especially made the state meet more fun; it was such a crazy atmosphere with all the people there.”