Senior bucket list: senior prom, or should I call it DECA Nationals

My life is a beautiful adventure that God intended for me to live out to the fullest, remembering that every day is a gift and should not be taken for granted.

What a time of year it is? There are endless proposals, hundreds of pictures, pretty dresses, broken hearts and most importantly the finality that comes with the arrival of prom. Seniors in particular understand that prom is just a stepping stone in the final walk across the last thirteen years of schooling. Just one or two more steps and there it is: the end of high school. What girl hasn’t dreamed of that night, one of the most anticipated nights of high school, it can either go beyond every expectation or be the biggest let down of all.

For me the reality of this event has turned into a happy dream, as instead of attending what would be my last and final dance of high school, I attend my last and final DECA competition. Three years ago, if someone had informed me that I would choose DECA over prom, I probably would’ve laughed in their face. Dances are something that has been a highlight of my high school career; they are experiences that I would never trade for anything. But when it came down to choosing to move on to the next round of competition in DECA, or stay home from a five-day trip and attend prom, the choice became a difficult one.

No matter which one I chose, I would be leaving behind friends and experiences that would last a lifetime. My whole senior year has been centered on finding who I am and what makes me the best me that I can be. An integral part of that self-discovery came through my involvement in planning and running the biggest DECA event of our calendar year, so do I choose to help other people see the effort and learning that I worked hundreds of hours on, or let all of my hard work, tears and sleepless nights become for naught?

Essentially, the choice became one of what seems like hardest comparisons between who I want to spend time with and what I want my legacy to be. Even though I’m leaving behind my best friends, one of which has attended every school dance with me in high school, I see the possibility and potential of what may come from my participation in the biggest DECA competition in the world. On the other hand, the bittersweet feelings that are lingering around not being here for prom are beginning to set in as my friends make their plans, get their dresses and talk about getting ready for the big night, but what I have to remember is that my trip to Atlanta will be jam-packed with adventures that I can’t even conceive of yet, and I am truly honored to have the opportunity to attend such a conference. Each experience is simply just one more part of the journey to that fateful day where we will walk across the stage and commemorate every event, every experience and every moment that has led us to this display of exemplary achievement.