Fossil Ridge gets colorful

Fossil Ridge gets colorful

Kierra Vaughan and Kaitlynn Schmurr

On Friday August. 22, Fossil Ridge High School held it’s first annual “Color Dance” in the front courtyard of the school. The dance was the first one of the year, open to all ages, and took the place of “The Autograph Dance” of years past. The Color Dance this year brought a new twist to the regular school dances from the past, from the blow up bouncy castles and obstacle courses inside the cafeteria, to the several food and ice cream trucks parked out front. Yet the most memorable event of the night seemed to be the colorful part.

Student Council members playing with the colorful dust. (Photo Credit: Kaitlynn Schmurr)

You may be asking yourself “what is a color dance?” The idea is very similar to that of The Color Run, a new running fad popular across the nation. Participants either run a 5k or a 7k while being showered with a colorful dust made of chalk. The Official Color Run calls the race “an event to promote healthiness and happiness by bringing the community together to participate in the Happiest 5k on the Planet.” By the end of the race, runners are covered head-to-toe with this multi-colored dust.

FRHS student getting into the music. (Photo Credit: Kaitlynn Schmurr)

This theme is exactly what Fossil aimed to emulate, but instead of running, students were throwing the colors at other students during the dance (outside of course). The one problem was that there were not many students in attendance, especially upperclassmen. (Where were you Juniors and Seniors?) Students who did show up said they had an amazing time. Senior Chandler Lowham wrote on her Facebook, “If you didn’t come out to the color dance at fossil you seriously missed out! What a blast. Great way to start my senior year. So proud to be a sabercat.”

Colorful Fossil Ridge students. (Photo Credit: Kaitlynn Schmurr)

$100
$1000