Fossil Ridge New Years Resolutions

Fossil Ridge New Years Resolutions

New Year’s resolutions have become an annual  fad. People follow their resolution the first month of the year and then either forget or give up.Fossil is not exempt from this, as many students and staff know all too well.

University of Scranton research on New Year’s resolutions said only 45% of people in America actually make a New Year’s resolution. The same is true at Fossil, most staff and students did not have a resolution when they were first asked. Six out of ten people did not have a resolution but they made one up on the spot.

Over half of all the resolutions made were health related. In the research done by University of Scranton, the top two resolutions for people to make in America were to lose weight and to stay fit and healthy. Some Sabercats wanted to get healthier while others wanted to get unhealthy. A senior, Jake Cuddemi said his new year’s resolution was to go to the gym every day. In order to achieve this resolution Cuddemi said, “I do plan on going every day when I get better from being sick.”

At the other end of the spectrum,  Junior, Colton Padilla said, “My New Year’s resolution is to eat twenty Big Macs a day.” He said he has already eaten twelve that day, but it’s up to you to decide whether or not to believe him. Similarly, Fossil teacher  Neil Petrie said that his resolution was “to stay as even more unfit, if I can, as possible, to eat as much as I can, oh yah that’s my goal.”

First year English teacher Alexis Yeager said “I am trying to cut naps out of my life and it’s been a struggle.” She was planning on going cold turkey on naps, but she said “I fell asleep the first day of the year, so I still do not know how I am going to do it.”

Other students resolutions were made to benefit others. Jordan Dame, who is a sophomore, resolved to be more positive. She said she will be more positive by “walking in school every day smiling and say hi to more people.” Another sophomore, Tim Sunset said “it started a couple of years ago, but I have always wanted to. It’s been a deep desire of mine to draw a heart on a small piece of paper and give it to the person I love most every day.”

Out of the people who made resolutions last year a majority of them did not finish those resolution because what they were trying to stop doing proved too tempting in the end. Jake Cuddemi said that his resolution last year was “to stop playing so many video games,” and then admitted it did not work out and he would never try to make that resolution again. Colby Ripsam, a junior said his resolution was to get taller, but he is unsure if he has grown. Yeager’s resolution last year was to stop saying YOLO so much. She allowed that she does not say it as much, but it does find its way into her vocabulary once in a while. According to research by University of Scranton only 8% of American successfully achieved their resolutions last year and only 24% of American have ever successfully achieved their resolutions. So lets go and achieve those resolutions this year Fossil.

View Comments (1)
$100
$1000