Unified basketball game

Unified basketball game

[slideshow_deploy id=’9003′]

Every year, people get the joy and excitement of watching the annual unified basketball game. For those of you that don’t know what the unified basketball game is, it’s an opportunity for kid’s with learning disabilities or special needs to get out on the court against other schools and just have fun. On Friday January 23rd the Rocky Mountain High School unified team came to Fossil Ridge for an awesome showcase of how much fun these kids have competing on the court. The game is played in 4 ten minute quarters and even playing time is distributed between the players so that everyone gets the same chance. But what does this game really mean to everyone? Principal Will Allen had insight on what the game means to him. “This game is all about giving every student in our school the opportunity to shine and be a champion on the court.”

There was no division of schools during the matchup Friday. Rocky was cheering for Fossil,and Fossil for Rocky. Rocky Senior Cole Anderson said, “We’re here to support the unified basketball team, support Rocky, as well as support the athletes from Fossil.”

Every player from each team got playing time and received the chance to soak up the atmosphere of a nearly sellout crowd, the band, cheerleaders, and the whole football team all in attendance. Smiles glowed on the faces of fans, coaches and especially the players. Everybody in attendance came to the game of course to support the athletes and ultimately have a good time. But nobody was looking for the overtime game we saw as fans. The ending to an exhilarating regulation as well as overtime. Fossil came out on top, but nobody was looking at the scoreboard at the end of the day. It was to give back to the kids that put smiles on our faces day in and day out, and that’s exactly what happened.