Winter Sports Recap

Winter Sports Recap

The winter sports season has officially wrapped up at Fossil Ridge High School, this season was full of ups and downs throughout each sport. The Sabercats were able to have a couple tournament appearances and even a state championship. This year in winter sports definitely didn’t disappoint.

The state champion girl’s swimming team. The girls had a very memorable state run this year, sweeping through the competition. The team went 5-0 in overall meets. The SaberCats had a good balance of underclassmen and experienced upperclassmen. One name that was frequently mentioned throughout the season was Bailey Nero, who committed to Auburn University. At the championship meet, the SaberCats put up 66 more points than the second place Regis Jesuit to win their second state championship in three years. Fossil Ridge, after winning the state championship in 2012, had been the first high school outside the Denver-metropolitan area to win a state championship since Colorado Springs’ Palmer Ridge did it in 1980.

The girls’ basketball team had yet another solid season after a state championship appearance the previous year. With five seniors returning the Lady Cats had solid and experienced senior leadership. Fossil went 18-7 overall and went 9-3 in league play; earning themselves an 11th overall rank in the state. The girls also had three impressive wins outside the state that accounted for the record. The SaberCats were able to beat Dakota Ridge in the first round of 32 with a 56-47 victory. Moving on to the sweet sixteen, Fossil played the Coyotes of Monarch. It was a hard fought battle but the Coyotes came away with a 51-47 win. All in all it was yet another impressive year from the girls’ basketball team.

Boys’ basketball had high expectations after a state appearance last year, and the boy’s didn’t disappoint. The team was led by Ryan Quaid, who committed to West Texas A&M, and senior guards Andrew Semadeni and Zacc Drovdal. Finishing the year 18-7 and 11-1 in conference, the SaberCats earned themselves a four seed going into the tournament and had a first round matchup with Arvada West. The SaberCats exchanged blows on  their way to a 64-52 win and a chance to play in the sweet 16 against a first seeded Eaglecrest. The team battled hard but lost in a nail biter, 49-56. It was a tough loss to end such a successful season.

Last but definitely not least, the wrestling team battled through a long and grueling run throughout the season. The team was led by Matt Reyes, Keegan Lecher and Evan Perry. The SaberCats went 1-6 in team meets. Everybody had a state at the first round of regionals, but Matt Reyes and Evan Perry were the only ones to make it out of the first day. Perry and Reyes then got knocked out on the second day. Looking at the season as a whole though, the wrestling team had plenty of success.

There is no doubt there was plenty of success throughout the winter sports programs. It will be exciting to see what next year has in store.