Defending State champions lose in their semifinal

Olivia Doro

Fossil Ridge High School went into the State tournament on Saturday, November 11 unsure on whether or not they would be playing at all that day. However, after a nerve wracking game they watched Chatfield High School beat Denver East High School which sent them all into a set of tie-breakers. Fossil won both of their tie-breakers, going into the semifinals to play all five sets and suffer a devastating loss in the fifth set.

Fossil would play Chatfield and then the winner of that 25 point set would go on to play Denver East. Both Fossil and Chatfield had everything to lose if they had lost this set, Fossil gave it their all and pulled ahead in the beginning of the set. This lead stuck and the Sabercats went on to beat the Chargers 25-17. Sending them into their final tie-breaker against the Denver East Angels.

After losing to Denver East in the first game of the day yesterday Fossil came out with a vengeance to win and defend their State title. The game was a back and forth of Fossil pulling ahead by one then Denver East pulling ahead by one. It was in the final three points of the set that Fossil eventually pulled ahead and beat the Angels. The Sabercats advanced to the semifinals with a score of 25-22.

Courtney Dix sets up for Mataya Megson to score Photo Credit: Olivia Doro

Fossil played Castle View High School in the semifinals in a game that went into an intense five sets. Castle View won the first set, pulling ahead of the Sabercats from the beginning and maintaining ahead until they took the set, Fossil lost 16-25. The second set Fossil pulled ahead and won in the very end of the set, taking the second set 25-20. It was Castle View who ended up stealing the third set from Fossil in the final two points, 23-25. Another close set for both teams in the fourth set but the Sabercats pulled ahead and won the set 25-20. The fifth and final set was an upset for the team and fans alike. The girls put up a good fight but got knocked out 8-15, Castle View went on to the play for the championship and Fossil had to say goodbye to their season.

It was an outstanding season of volleyball for the Sabercats and they made it into the final four teams in the state. Make sure to show your Sabercat pride and congratulate a volleyball player on their season. Good job ladies and good luck next year.