Senior, Lauren Rice serves the ball over the net. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Aloha volleyball season

Aloha night was the perfect way for girls varsity volleyball to start their season off with a victory over a brand new rival, Golden High School. Neither team wasted any time stepping onto the court to warm up following the junior varsity match. Both fans and players were ecstatic over the first volleyball game of the season showing up a half hour in advance to cheer on our Sabercats.

The first set began at 6:30 and both the students and fan sections were bursting with school pride as our varsity lineup got called out. As the game began Fossil wasted no time in taking the lead, scoring the first point in under a minute. Golden didn’t let anything intimidate them, putting up a fight that proved exactly why they were on varsity. However senior Lauren Rice, #2, defended multiple attacks from their team and defended our half of the net. Rice couldn’t have done any of this without the help of her team as everyone communicated and read the ball preventing any moves or points that would have done more help than harm. The first set came to an end in only 19 minutes with a final score of 24-9, in favor of the Sabercats.

Courtney Isom and Tyler Lindgren go up for a block against opponent's offense. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell
Courtney Isom and Tyler Lindgren go up for a block against opponent’s offense. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Second set begins just like the first with Fossil taking an immediate lead, even as Golden puts up a solid defense in order to defend their lead. Golden slowly earned themselves some points, ending the second set with a final score of 25-12, still in the favor of Fossil.

The Sabercats celebrate after scoring a point. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The third and final set began with Fossil taking the lead with 6 points being scored in 9 minutes. Both teams put up an intense effort kicking off both their seasons with great efforts and ways to improve. In the end Fossil scored 25 and Golden scored 13, with a majority of points scored by sophomore Riley Zuhn, #6.