Volleyball faces off against Chaparral High School

Fossil Ridge High School junior varsity volleyball faced Chaparral High School on Tuesday September 6 and struggled to stay on top of the ball for the duration of all three sets. JV started out on the wrong foot but slowly started to make a comeback ending the second set 25-17 as they tightened up offensively and defensively in order to come out even stronger in the second set. Second set proved more promising but the Sabercats didn’t make the comeback they did in the first set, losing the second set. Fossil tried to stay in the lead and win their final set which would result in continuing their undefeated streak but after a loss in the third set the Sabercats fell behind, ending the game with Chaparral winning two out of the three sets.

Fossil C-team volleyball went into the first set strong and played with high intensity, resulting in a tie during the first set with a 9-9 score but soon after fell behind again. Although Fossil put up a fight and kept a strong offensive and defensive line Chaparral brought their A-game and won the first set with a final score of 17-25. In the second set the two teams were neck in neck and after a few missed hits on Fossil’s part they relinquished their undefeated season to Chaparral who took the lead ending the game with a final score of 25- 22.

Both D-teams started warm ups with big hits and lots of energy, however the Fossil girls spikes were a mere tap compared to the immense bam that resounded after every one of Chaparral’s spikes. As the first set came to a start Chaparral took the lead by scoring the first point of the game within 30 seconds from when they served. That first point set the tone of the game as Fossil started to fall behind by one then ten points, sporadically scoring points throughout the set. By the end of the first set the Sabercats had finished with a score of 11-25, in favor of their opponents. Coach, Gracie Petersen boosted spirits and the girls confidence as the girls went back on the court for their final set, changing the tone of the game by coming out stronger than before. Chaparral won with a final score of 25-11 and our sabercats went down fighting with an impressive effort of defense and teamwork.