Photo Credit: Ellie Street
Photo Credit: Ellie Street

Fossil triumphs over Legacy High School in final game of the season

Emotion filled the air as varsity volleyball played their final home game and the seniors final home game as students at Fossil Ridge High School on Tuesday, October 18. The five seniors (Courtney Isom,  Lauren Rice, Brynn Montgomery, Kyle Meltzer, and Liz Staudacher) representing each of their future schools were honored by their teammates, coaches, and family members that came to support them. As each of the seniors stood other teammates shared best qualities and memorable moments they had with each other throughout the season.

Fossil came out ready to conquer Legacy High School. As they took the court it was bittersweet, the players said a quick prayer before the game and were ready to win. The first set started out fast with both teams neck and neck until Fossil took advantage of Legacy’s mistakes and took the lead winning the first set 25-15. The girls used great communication to excel and came together as a team making the bond the players formed during the season visible.

The second set was won a lot easier as Fossil found their groove hitting ball after ball over the net using the combined power of players, Catie Semadeni and Riley Zuhn plus the skills of the libero, Lauren Rice to catapult Fossil into the lead. The team worked together beautifully and supported each other on and off the court. The final score for the second set was 25-14.

As the third set began the crowd was amped up and anxious for a win, Legacy recovered and went into the set with intensity, forcing Fossil to step up their game if they wanted to win. The third set was used more as a time to honor the seniors as well as a competitive game, placing all of the seniors on the court Fossil excelled, winning the third and final set 25-14.

The team has two more away games left in the season. The next game is on Thursday, October 20 at Mountain Range High School and the final game on Tuesday, October 25 at  Lakewood High School. If you missed the Sabercats final home game, go out and support them at the last two games.