Lindgren with a spike that resulted in a point. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

Volleyball earns regional title and the No. 1 seed going into state

No. 1 Fossil Ridge High School volleyball team swept their competitors in the regional tournament on Friday, November 4. The Sabercats earned the regional title after annihilating No. 36 Columbine High School and No. 34 and defending champions Cherokee Trail High School.

Lindgren with a sets up Montgomery for a spike. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The first match was against Columbine and the Sabercats easily defeated them with a 25-12, 25-16, 25-11 win. Riley Zuhn led the team with 12 kills, Catie Semadeni contributed 8 more and Mataya Megson had 6 kills. Brynn Montgomery had 6 aces as well as 11 digs. Lauren Rice also had 11 digs and Sydni Christopherson had four total blocks.

The second match was against Cherokee Trail and dominated the court with a 25-18, 25-17, 25-17 win. Riley Zuhn had 17 kills and Lauren Rice with 12. Brynn Montgomery and Catie Semadeni both hit 15 aces. Tyler Lindgren contributed to the team’s points with 22 assists. The win also captured the regional crown for the SaberCats.

Montgomery tosses it up for a serve. Photo Credit: Haley Rockwell

The Sabercats will compete for the state title on Friday, November 11 and Saturday, November 12 at the Denver Coliseum.  A total of 12 teams will play in four pools with the winners advancing to a championship bracket. No. 8 Coronado High School and No. 12 Highlands Ranch High School are in Fossil’s pool. On Friday, Fossil will compete against Coronado and then hopefully advance to play on Saturday in the championship bracket.