Fossil heads Into the semifinals

Fossil heads Into the semifinals

Fossil Ridge High School has had an outstanding varsity volleyball season as they headed into state championships ranked first in the state. The morning of Friday, November 11 started off with an early send off; complete with balloons, treats, posters and puppies. Parents blared their horns and rang their bells as the bus headed off to the Denver Coliseum. It was when they walked into the stadium, that excitement and determination danced in their eyes. The atmosphere was entirely different from any other game with louder crowds, more than on team playing at a time and everything at stake.

The girls take the floor for their first game against Highlands Ranch High School and the mood changes instantly. They go from happy and excited into the predators they truly are on the court. Once the first set begins Fossil takes an immediate lead off the first serve, but Highlands Ranch refuses to give up that easily. Mid-set Highlands Ranch took a lead over Fossil until Fossil truly comes out to play. Slowly but surely Fossil starts coming back into the game. It was sophomore Riley Zuhn who scored the first winning point of the tournament for Fossil Ridge. An amazing redemption from Fossil ended the set with a score of 25-20.

Both teams take the court as the second set begins and Fossil quickly falls behind. As Fossil starts to make sloppy mistakes, Highlands Ranch begins to rack up points. Although the set looked bleak, Fossil persevered and refused to lose focus. Their excellent communication skills are one of the biggest reasons Fossil can easily redeem themselves. Just like in the first set the girls redeemed themselves, but by tooth and nail this time. The set ended with a score of 25-23, another win for Fossil.

As the girls head into the final set they immediately dominate, coming out with a renewed sense of confidence. Fossil takes an outstanding lead and they amp up their intensity even more. Although Highlands Ranch snags a few points here and there, Fossil is determined to win more than ever. Fossil completely destroyed Highlands Ranch as they finish their first game with a score of 25-17. A great way to start the tournament, Fossil is that much closer to state champs.

Hoorah (Photo Credits: Olivia Doro}
Hoorah! Photo Credits: Olivia Doro

Over five hours after their first victory Fossil takes the court again to play Coronado High School. The first set takes off with Fossil immediately falling behind. While every team here is good, Coronado is giving Fossil a run for their money, making this the most difficult set of the tournament so far. But Fossil doesn’t give up, they soon start scoring repetitively, obliterating the lead Coronado had taken over them. As the set comes into the final few points both teams are on edge, determined to win. After a long fight Fossil finishes the set with a score of 25-22, continuing their winning streak.

Just like in the first set Coronado takes the lead, but their small errors make sure that the sabercats don’t fall too far behind. This set is much tighter than the first, with the score always tied up or only different by two or less points. Fossil slowly starts to make a comeback but the score is neck in neck. Both teams are good, but they both have a state championship title on the line. Suddenly Fossil is awake and ready to kill, they tie up the score with only one point until the end of the set. 26-24 and the sabercats win again, an amazing last minute redemption from Fossil.

The third set has a completely different atmosphere as Fossil comes out ready to play. Fossil plays with a ferocity never seen before, knowing that victory is within their reach. Coronado begins to fall behind as Fossil surges ahead, gaining back any lost confidence. However as Fossil increases their lead Coronado scores some points in the background. Both Fossil and Coronado are tied up with only five points til the end of the set but it’s Fossil who comes out on top. The game ends with a final score of 25-20 and Fossil wins with an amazing spike from Zuhn.

The girls gave today their all and came out on top. With the two wins today Fossil is automatically sent into the semifinals tomorrow! While other teams wept at their wins, Fossil kept their composure, knowing that another day of games awaits them tomorrow. Tomorrow is not only the last day of the season but it is also the final day of the seniors volleyball careers.