Coffee cart teaches students new skills for the future

Tess Allen

Collin Mangum working at the coffee cart.

Megan Butters

Rumors of the coffee cart have been floating around the school for years. Is it fair that there was coffee for teachers and not students? In fact, students can enjoy the coffee cart.

The coffee cart, known as Cup of Joe, is now open to students on Mondays from 10:00 a.m.-11:44 a.m. and Tuesdays-Fridays from 10:00 a.m. -11:59 a.m. The best part is that all the money goes back to the ACE (Alternative Cooperative Education) program for supplies to keep the coffee cart going.

The ACE program is a big part of the Fossil environment. Students learn different job skills that can be used in the school and the community at different internships throughout their high school career. The overall goal of the ACE program is to provide students with the skills they will need to hold down a job in the future. This is done within a controlled environment at Cup of Joe, and many of the students have flourished while stepping out of their own comfort zone. The moment you walk into this classroom, you get a welcoming feel. Mr. Adam Waters, one of the teachers that runs the ACE program, keeps the environment very friendly and welcoming. Whether you need a boost of caffeine or a little extra support through your day, room 503 is the perfect room to stop by.

Within Cup of Joe, you may notice the name School Grounds in a couple places.  Up until this year, this is what the coffee cart business was named. However, the change in name to Cup of Joe came about at the beginning of this school year at the urging of one of the students.  The former ACE Teacher, Mr. Joe Allen, tragically passed away this past summer, and the coffee cart was renamed in his honor. For many years, Mr. Allen was at the forefront of the ACE Program at Fossil, and he provided amazing and life-changing lessons to all of his students.  The legacy of Mr. Allen will always live on within Cup of Joe.

One student said her favorite part of the ACE program is, “Mr. Waters because he is a good teacher.” People know little about what goes on in the doors of this classroom, but memories are being made and lives are being changed.

The kids in this class are lucky to have Mr. Waters and Mr. Todd run the ACE program.