Fossil Ultimate places third in Lakewood Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fossil's Brandon Kruse flicks the disc in the direction of a teammate.

Brandon Kruse

Brandon Kruse

Brandon Kruse

Tyler Kleine and Brandon Kruse

Following their loss to top-ranked Monarch last Tuesday, the Fossil Ridge Phantoms competed in the “Lakewood Off the Deep End” tournament. Fossil had four games slated for a snow-filled Saturday against Lakewood B, Arapahoe B, Denver East JV, and the Classical Academy. Low temperatures and snowfall failed to slow down the Phantoms’ four senior leaders, Jonathan Steiner, Alex Rogers, Ryan Castell, and Brandon Kruse. Fossil won all four games, finishing day one with a +34 point differential and momentum going into day two.

The Phantoms were the number one seed in Pool B going into play on Sunday. Their first matchup on Sunday was against Broomfield, a team in which Fossil was very familiar. Fossil opened the scoring with a deep huck in the endzone. However, because of Broomfield’s experience handler movement and the ability to maintain possession of the disc, Fossil suffered their first loss of the tournament 13-7.

The Phantoms’ next game against Lafayette was highlighted by multiple runs for both teams, and it was Fossil that came out on top. After being down 12-9, the Phantoms scored three unanswered points to even up the score. With hard cap hitting, the next point would be universe (whoever scores wins). Fossil pulled the disc down the field, and Lafayette received it cleanly. However, an immediate unforced drop by a Lafayette handler enabled the Phantoms with a chance to complete an incredible comeback on a short field. Fossil senior Ryan Castell picked up the disc and threw a quick backhand to a cutting Rogers. In what seemed would be an uncatchable wide pass, Rogers lunged and made a fantastic one-handed grab to seal the comeback win for the Phantoms.

The last game of the tournament for Fossil came against the Columbine High School Rebels. The wind’s intensity had increased, blowing from the west. Since the field was set up in an east-west direction, the game played out as expected with the team normally going downwind scoring the point. Nevertheless, the score was 6-6. Going upwind, Fossil received the pull and went to work. With a line that consisted of Steiner, Rogers, and Kruse, the Phantoms continuously completed one yard passes amongst those three players. However, the Phantoms would inevitably turn it over as they came closer to the endzone. When Columbine forced the turnover, they would pick up the disc and repeatedly huck it downfield, so that Fossil would have to start over and do the same thing with their three handlers. The point lasted 25 minutes and, on the fifth round upwind, the Phantoms finally scored a point when Rogers threw a cutting pass to Kruse, who laid out to make a fantastic catch. Fossil grabbed the lead going into halftime 7-6.

Unfortunately, the Phantoms were unable to preserve their lead. After Fossil scored the first point of the second half, Columbine went on a 4-0 run, inevitably resulting in a 10-8 win for the Rebels. Fossil ended the tournament with a 5-2 record, enough to deserve third place in the tournament overall.

Next, the Phantoms travel crosstown to face Poudre this Friday.

About the Contributors
Tyler Kleine, Sports Writer

Tyler is a senior at Fossil Ridge, in his first year of journalism. He was previously part of the Ridge TV program here, but decided to focus on his sports...

Brandon Kruse, Sports Writer

Brandon Kruse, a senior, is in his first year of Journalism. He had spent the previous two years being a member of Fossil’s T.V. program pursuing an...