The band program raises money through sharing breakfast with Santa

C. Sears

Band students play classic Christmas carols for the patrons.

Caroline Sears, Activities Beat Director

Fossil Ridge Marching Band’s most recent fundraiser, the Santa Breakfast, pulled in families and students alike to this magical experience.  

Last Saturday, the commons were decked in holiday decor as if patrons stepped into the North Pole itself. Pancakes, hot cocoa, and festive treats were served by parent volunteers all morning long. As musicians played classic holiday songs, other band students acted as elves. Families came to take a free picture with Santa himself, visit crafty vendors, and support the band program. 

Caroline Sears
Even the students get a turn to tell Santa what they want for the holidays.

After the band’s success in two consecutive state championships, the support for the program is overflowing. However, the purpose of this event runs much deeper than donations for the program. Megan Muñoz, band director, started this event when she came to Fossil because of the magical memories of visiting Santa’s village when she was younger. Sarah Parks organized the event. Her favorite part is seeing the joy on the kids’ faces as they meet Santa. She also enjoys listening to the nostalgic Christmas music played by the band.

The president of the Band Boosters (in charge of raising money for the program), Brent Sessions threw on the red suit for the second year in a row. Last year, the professional they hired canceled at the last minute, so Sessions stepped up to fill those boots.  “We’re just getting started as a program,” said Sessions, or Santa.

Sophomore Madison Roberts said, “Marching band takes a lot of hours, but it is always worth it.” Sophia Marino played the french horn at the event and felt similarly. She said marching band has given her “…a lot of friends and a purpose (at school)”

This event brought joy to so many patrons and volunteers, all while supporting our hardworking band program.