Breaking: Despite mass quarantine, Little Shop of Horrors to proceed

Anna Henning

The nearly complete set in the PAC, as tech members try out different lighting settings.

Anna Henning, Editor in Chief

On Monday, April 27, over half of the cast of Fossil Ridge High School’s Little Shop of Horrors was quarantined after a positive COVID-19 case. Despite this, the musical will still have shows on May 7 and 8 as planned. 

Before cast members were quarantined, the production was on track and in a good place. According to Bri McCormick, nearly the entire musical has been blocked, and all of the music numbers have been done. Last week, both Cast A and Cast B completed their first full run-throughs of the show, which went well. Additionally, besides installing some extra technology affects and lighting, the set is ready as well. The musical will continue to be on track, and the quarantine will not compromise the readiness or quality of the show.

When the news broke to the production team, director Tara Rowland was very stressed. However, upon meeting with the other directors, Kristen Rust and John Garner, they realized the situation was not as bad as it sounded. The three are prepared to proceed with musical preparations, and take every opportunity possible to get the actors ready.

While at home, actors have online materials to continue practicing. Directors will have daily announcements of specific scenes that need actors’ attention, and they will provide reminders of what needs the most practice. 

The actors can return Friday, April 30, if they have a negative COVID-19 test, or if they can present their vaccine card—they must be fully vaccinated, students with only one shot need to have a negative COVID-19 test. 

When the cast returns, extra time has been scheduled to be able to practice more in the Performing Arts Center. Dress rehearsals begin next week, and Fossil staff will be able to attend “teacher shows” on Wednesday and Thursday, May 5 and 6. 

If anyone must stay quarantined, or gets sent home again, the Fossil Theatre Department has a back-up plan. There are two casts of Little Shop of Horrors. This helps to keep the number of students onstage at one time down, allowing for more social distancing. Thankfully, if a student does get quarantined, there is a student from the other cast who is able to do the part. 

The students have worked for months to put on an amazing show. The directors are not planning on moving the production, and will keep the dates as planned. Cast A will be performing on May 7, and Cast B will be performing on May 8. Both shows are at seven p.m. Tickets for Little Shop of Horrors are now available to the general public. There are a limited number of in-person seats available, which can be purchased here. Also, the shows will be streamed live, and tickets can be purchased here