Sabercats get back in the winning column after 2-game skid

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

On September 17, the Sabercats soccer team improved to 4-2(1-0 in league play) defeating the Monarch Coyotes 2-0.

Fossil Ridge started the season 3-0, but lost two games in a row on the road against Silver Creek and Cherry Creek. But, Fossil found a way to bounce back with this big home victory.

The Sabercats came out of the gates strong, forcing most of the action into the Monarch third. Their first goal would come less than halfway into the first half, as the ball ricocheted off a Monarch defender right into the net.

The Fossil Soccer Varsity Team, before Friday’s matchup against Monarch

Fossil would continue to push the pace, continuing the offensive attack. Both teams were choosing to keep the ball to the outside, causing tight plays along with many throw-ins, corners, and stoppages. Fossil would continue to push the pace but would head into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

Fossil celebrating their first goal of the game

Coming out of halftime, the Sabercats focused less on offensive attacks and more so on ball possession, controlling the ball so often that Monarch was never able to get a good offensive opportunity in the second half.

Fossil Ridge eventually scored again with about 15 minutes remaining. The goal came from senior Pedro Peres, who was able to get in close and drill the ball past the keeper.

It was all elementary after the second goal, as both teams started to slow down and pack it in for the night.

Junior Sterling Bellendir taking a corner kick

After the game wrapped up I got a chance to speak with Pedro Peres, who was very excited about the game.

“It was nice getting back on the winning track…nice to get a home win,” Peres said.

After getting back in the win column, the Sabercats biggest takeaway isn’t a strategic change.

“Just the confidence part of it, after losing a couple games it’s hard to get our confidence back, so now we’re going in with our heads up high,” Peres said.

Midfielder Pedro Peres, who scored a goal in his second consecutive game

Now Fossil will look ahead to their next game against Boulder, who is ranked #2 in Colorado and #28 in the nation. The Sabercats are excited about the match and not scared about the challenge.

“Important game next week…If we win we’re gonna be set for the rest of the season, it’s going to help us a lot with playoff seedings,” Peres said.

That game will be on Tuesday, September 21, at 6:30 pm at Fossil Ridge High School.