Sabercats win 4th match in a row against rival Lambkins

Fossil team before their match against Fort Collins

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

The air was thick with tension, as both Fossil Ridge and Fort Collins fans entered the gym.  Both sides were eager to scream and shout, cheering their team to victory and earning bragging rights. But for the players themselves, it was all about tuning out the noise.

“I just want to go out there and play for my team and just win. Even though there’s a crowd, we knew we had to stay focused,” said Fossil sophomore Emma Converse.

The Fossil Ridge volleyball team scored their fourth straight victory against the Fort Collins Lambkins, beating them three sets to one. The rivalry between Fossil and Collins is heated since the two schools are just 2.1 miles away, and so fans of both teams both show out in support of their team and hatred of the opposition.

Fossil junior Maya Siple preparing for a spike attempt

The Lambkins kept it close with Fossil up until the very end, never feeling out of the fight. Even though it didn’t go the full five sets, with Fossil taking the first set 25-19. Collins would bounce back, winning the second set 25-22, but the Sabercats would win the next two 25-18 and 25-17. Despite the decisive result, both teams felt evenly matched. The Sabercats found ways to stay ahead by one or two points, never losing the lead during a set, which fueled their confidence.

Sophomore Emma Converse getting ready to serve

Fossil has now won their fourth straight match and has opened up conference play 4-0 as the team continues to look stronger with each passing match. Emma Converse credits their success to the strong team chemistry.

“Our communication on the court and us working together…we just have to stay as a team…I think we just need to keep pushing,” Converse said.