PSD stars beat Fort Lupton in their first ever home game performance

Max Zuieback, Staff Writer

Poudre School District’s first ever men’s volleyball team made history at our very own Fossil Ridge High School gym on March 30 when they beat Fort Lupton 3-0. This marks their first-ever home game, and, luckily, the team made it one to remember. With a close score the entire game and not always pretty, PSD managed to sweep the Blue Devils in three sets. 

“It feels good, I think we have a lot to improve upon but overall it’s a good feeling.” senior, Matthew Actor, said. 

The PSD Stars did tend to be outplayed defensively and sometimes struggled with passing, but the performance from the offense and perseverance of the players kept them ahead for the majority of the game.

“I think it went well… Obviously, I’m happy with the outcome,” Head Coach, Christopher Savage explained.

“There’s some things we need to clean up but you know, we played hard, we played tough when it mattered,” Coach Savage continued.

PSD Stars celebrate thier 23rd point of the second set. (Max Zuieback)

As the game came to a close and it became more and more apparent that PSD was going to win, the fans in the gym rose to their feet, as everyone seemed to recognize the significance of the moment.

“I’m obviously aware of the historical significance of the event…this is a big moment for the district and for the city of Fort Collins,” Savage said.

When asked about the remainder of the season, Coach Savage emphasized that the boys do not intend to end here.

“I think we have a really, really great chance to do well in our conference and even the state championship looking down the road,” Savage explained.

He continued by explaining, “We just want to take it one match at a time and do the best that we can to compete at the best of our ability every single match.”