Wellness Club allows students to destress through various relaxing activities.

B. Horvath

Wellness Club creates a safe space for Fossil students to destress

With all the hustle of high school, many students forget the importance of taking time off for themselves. Creating glitter jars, painting, listening to music, doing yoga, and having group discussions surrounding mental health, are some of the many activities that Wellness Club provides for students to engage in self-care.

The purpose of all these activities is to give students a chance to reconnect with their creativity while also taking a moment to be mindful and stress free.

“Getting back to being playful and creative is something that I don’t feel like high schoolers get the opportunity to do every day. And being able to do that and connect it to your mental health, I think, is fun and why not try something different?” said one of the club’s teacher sponsors, Nicole Alvarado.

It is not always easy initiating conversations about mental health, but the Wellness Club hopes to make opening up about issues a little easier.

“We’re just identifying that mental health is something that everybody sometimes deals with, whether it’s in a positive way or negative way, but that it’s something that connects and unites us all… So, I think that just letting people know that it’s okay to not be okay.” said Alvarado.

It’s okay to not be okay.

— Nicole Alvarado

In regards to the future of Wellness Club, Alvarado has hopes for it to become a widely recognized safe space for all students, especially those who are new to Fossil Ridge High School.

“I’d love it to be a place where ninth graders can connect and kind of feel more of a connection to Fossil… [and] with their peers, staff members, and the Fossil community.” Alvarado expressed.

If you are looking for a place to destress and take a break from your worries, Wellness Club is the perfect place for you. They meet every Friday during lunch in the Wellness Center, room 440A, located in Fossil’s Media Center.

Etched in Stone • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$100
$1000