PSD Hockey wins opener in overtime thriller

Junior Conner Sledz skating during the first home game of the season.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Writer

Hockey season is back as the Fort Collins Lambkins defeated Steamboat Springs 3-2 in an overtime classic. 

Both teams looked solid defensively in the first period, with no goals conceded through the first 17 minutes of action.

It was the Stars who faltered first, giving up the first goal to Steamboat early in the second period. 

Afterwards PSD applied enormous amounts of pressure, attempting plenty of shots on net. The team left the second period empty handed, trailing 1-0 heading into the third. 

That pressure immediately paid dividends in the third period, as junior defensemen Max Bronson scored the equalizer on the power-play less than a minute after the break.

Bronson and his team celebrating after the first goal of the season.

The momentum swung back to the Stars, scoring another goal less than ten minutes later, this time from another defensemen, freshmen Eli Brackeen. 

Steamboat bounced back with a goal of their own, tying things up with under five minutes in regulation. With neither team scoring in the waning minutes of the third, PSD was heading to overtime. 

The Stars stayed positive after giving up the tying goal. Their determination and grit shone through as sophomore defenseman Mason Clark buried a puck into the back of the net for his first varsity goal. 

“There were some nerves there, but we got the job done,” Clark said. “I wasn’t expecting to get that puck from Trae [Campbell]…but I got it, put it on net and hoped for the best.”

All three of the Lambkins’ goals this season have come from defensemen.

All three goals were scored by PSD defensemen. The backend players have established themselves as very important contributors to the offensive scheme.

“It feels good when all the defensemen score…makes it like a competition with the forwards,” Clark said. 

After the thrilling home win, PSD fell short in the first league game on the road in a 3-0 loss against Regis Jesuit. The 1-1 Stars will have another back to back this upcoming week. First against Ralston Valley on the road Friday, and then back at home on Saturday in a rematch against Regis Jesuit at 8:15.