Sabercats begin playoff run with rout of Monarch

Dylan Heinrich

Junior Natalie Lin attempting to push an offensive attack in the playoff game against Monarch High School.

Dylan Heinrich, Sports Editor

The No. 1 seed Fossil Ridge girls soccer team lived up to their hype, defeating No. 32 Monarch with a 10-0 mercy rule in the first round.

Things looked shaky early, as some rain threw the Sabercats out of rhythm during the first 20 minutes. But Fossil responded with three goals late in the half to take that lead into halftime. The Sabercats could tell they weren’t playing up to their potential, making several changes after 40 minutes.

“Teagan [Myers] gave us a pep talk at halftime,” said senior Kylie Ballek. “Saying to step it up, literally saying take out their will to play soccer.”

The Sabercats took that message to heart, with three more goals in the first ten minutes. Afterwards Fossil added four more goals to end the game 10 minutes early. 

Ballek and Amy Smith carried over their prolific scoring seasons, each totaling a hat trick in the ten goal win.

But perhaps the biggest moment came independent of the scoring, as junior Allie Boldt made her first appearance all season. Boldt hasn’t played due to a plethora of leg injuries, mainly a dislocated patella.

Boldt before checking in during the second half. (Dylan Heinrich)

“Obviously when you get injured you don’t want to have it happen again, so it’s pretty scary,” Boldt said. “But once you get back to that first game, first practice, you have to build that mental strength.”

Boldt hopes to balance her recovery while also contributing to a deep playoff run for the Sabercats. Fossil knows that these games will continually get tougher, as they will have to play airtight down the stretch.

“We just have to come out stronger and be more consistent,” Ballek said. “We just have to play good throughout the whole game.”

Fossil will be back at home in a second round matchup in a rematch against No. 17 Rock Canyon on Friday, May 12.

Ballek scoring the tenth and final goal to send the Sabercats home. (Dylan Heinrich)