Senior Hadlee Kaiser is celebrated with family including sophomore player, Emorie Kaiser.
Sophie Webb

Volleyball Senior Night success against Loveland

This Tuesday, in a pink-out game, the Saberacts celebrated their three varsity seniors: Delaney Ewing, Danielle Burchett, and Hadlee Kaiser. Each one of the seniors has a younger sister also part of the Fossil Ridge High School volleyball team, giving touching speeches. 

“It was just a really special night and I am so incredibly grateful to be on this team,” Ewing explains. After this nostalgic moment, the Sabercats took on the Loveland Red Wolves and kept a steady lead, winning 3-0. 

The Sabercats and Red Wolves stayed neck and neck for the beginning of the first set until Ally Nowak stepped up as a server. With a mix of aces and kills made by other teammates, they forced Loveland to call their first timeout of the evening, attempting to ice out Nowak.

Nowak uses her spot serve to score an ace. (Sophie Webb)

Unfortunately for Loveland, Nowak was on a serving spree, and after another five points she led the Red Wolves to call their second timeout, the last one available for that set. 

Fossil eventually lost their streak, giving Loveland the serve. The Red Wolves took their chance and began to make a comeback but despite this Fossil was stronger and won the set 25-16. 

With no surprise, head coach Natalie Burton put Nowak as their first server for the second set. Although she didn’t gain as much of a lead as last time, she set Fossil on a steady path giving other servers a chance to shine such as Kaylee Piepho, Peyton McLeod, and Trinity Burchett. 

Fossil did not allow Loveland to come back this time and beat them 25-14. The third set remained the same and Fossil won by twelve points. “It felt really good to get our tenth win in a row and it feels like we are unstoppable,” Ewing exclaims.

This night not only honored the seniors but continued the streak the Sabercat team holds, still ranked first in the 5A Front Range League Conference.