Stella Brade working to rapidly complete the 500 free.
Sophie Webb

Girls Swim Sabercats blew the competition out of the water

This past Monday, January 22, the Fossil Ridge High School girls swim and dive team participated in their annual City Meet and Senior Night. Several teams participated in the meet; those in the district such as Fort Collins High School and Rocky Mountain High School and other Colorado schools like Liberty Commons High School, Loveland High School, and Windsor High School. 

Lara Sasarman helping out her teammate Stella Brade with the 500 free. (Sophie Webb)

This swim season there are seventeen graduating seniors, all were recognized once the events and finals concluded. Lara Sasarman is a senior and one of the more skilled swimmers on the team, “City Meet is my favorite competition of the season, it’s always so special. It’s the last meet where the entire team races together to celebrate the seniors at the end,” Sasarman says.

The Sabercats did not come to mess around and won seven of the twelve events. Star swimmers included but were not limited to: Ella Gaca-Thiele, Gracie Thorton, and Elsa Fullerton. 

At the end of the competitive evening, seniors from each school were recognized, several family and friends in attendance to celebrate these ladies. 

“Being recognized this year was such a surreal feeling, it’s something I’ve been looking forward to for four years. I could feel the love of my teammates all around me and I’m so thankful for all of the work they put into making senior night special,” Sasarman exclaims. 

Girls swim and dive season is coming to a close, but the Sabercats, especially the seniors, made sure to come out on top one last time.