Fossil Ridge supports resources to help students dealing with drug use

Many students think that getting resources and help from school for drug abuse will result in punishment. However, Fossil Ridge High School focuses on recovery instead and aims to support students’ well-being and future success. 

“There are more resources and people than you think to help you grow. You will realize you’re not alone,” said a ninth grader who has gone through Fossil’s restorative program for drug use. 

The restorative program is accessible to anyone who wants help dealing with drug use, no matter the substance or severity. Joel Bekken, Fossil’s drug and alcohol counselor helps students navigate their issues.

The ninth grader, whose name is withheld to protect their privacy, said the restorative program initially brought anxiety. But, the supportive environment, including meetings with a therapy dog, was great help for them.

“I liked meeting with the dog and liked having a break from school to get to talk,” they said. “I thought I was going to get judged but it’s chill and not judgmental.”

Fossil’s long-standing restorative program emphasizes accountability and rehabilitation, with regular follow-up meetings to ensure ongoing support. This process emphasizes accountability and rehabilitation, with regular follow-up meetings to ensure ongoing support.

“Students turn to drugs for many reasons, including self-medication for anxiety and social pressures,” Bekken said. “There are people who can be pretty well functioning in the midst of using substances, but the majority of people aren’t good at it.” 

Fossil FRHS staff are trained to identify signs of substance use and are equipped to intervene early and provide assistance when spotting changes in behavior and appearance. Counseling and peer support programs offer students a safe space to discuss their mental health struggles.

“We do have a genuine support structure here for students. We have counseling that includes follow up with addiction and try to help them function here at school,” Fossil Hall Monitor Steve Leslie said.

The anonymous ninth grader has experienced this supportive environment and has advice for anyone struggling with drug use.

“Do not look at the negative but look at the positive. Even though something bad happened you can get through it. Not to look at yourself as a screw up and you can change. It’s hard but believe in yourself,” they said. “Also I didn’t realize I could access those things without getting into trouble. Go talk to someone.”